Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/18/2004 10:40:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 10:41:12 AM EST by Zhukov]
Last year, I threaded the barrel on my SAR-1, and put on a -74 brake, which I had a local 'smith pin on.

This morning, I went to the gunshow and bought another -74 brake, a slant brake, and the FSB plunger/spring to retain the brake. Got home and started grinding. Took a little while, but I got to where the threads were. I got nervous thinking I might have messed it up, but I finally saw the pin outlined and was able to start drilling into it a little bit, The pin finally broke free, and I was able to pull it out with some needle nose pliers. The brake was loc-tited on apparently, so I had to use a screwdriver to break it free. The threads are pretty much intact with the exception of the little hole for where the pin used to be. New brakes thread on fine.

Then I had to drift out one of the pins on the FSB to be able to push in the plunger. The plunger was too long (Bulgarian), so I ground it down shorter. Tapped the pin back in, and I now have an evil threaded assault rifle, ready to accept whatever brake/FH I feel like putting on it. I also saved the tag which shows that the brake is US made, to comply with the parts count nonsense.

I currently have the slant brake on it. Ultimately, I just did to give the well-deserved finger to the gun control nutjobs!

[Edited to add] No pics yet. Camera is at Pentax awaiting warranty repair.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:45:44 AM EST
Mine is almost fully convereted.

Almost in that it's at the 'smith's shop with the slant brake threaded on and the new gas block in place except for one cross pin hole still needs drilled. He broke his bit on the second hole and had to order a new bit.

Darn, it'll be late next week - early the following week before I get to see my evil gun.

But that's usually how my luck runs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:30:31 AM EST

Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Last year, I threaded the barrel on my SAR-1, and put on a -74 brake, which I had a local 'smith pin on.

This morning, I went to the gunshow and bought another -74 brake, a slant brake, and the FSB plunger/spring to retain the brake. Got home and started grinding. Took a little while, but I got to where the threads were. I got nervous thinking I might have messed it up, but I finally saw the pin outlined and was able to start drilling into it a little bit, The pin finally broke free, and I was able to pull it out with some needle nose pliers. The brake was loc-tited on apparently, so I had to use a screwdriver to break it free. The threads are pretty much intact with the exception of the little hole for where the pin used to be. New brakes thread on fine.

Then I had to drift out one of the pins on the FSB to be able to push in the plunger. The plunger was too long (Bulgarian), so I ground it down shorter. Tapped the pin back in, and I now have an evil threaded assault rifle, ready to accept whatever brake/FH I feel like putting on it. I also saved the tag which shows that the brake is US made, to comply with the parts count nonsense.

I currently have the slant brake on it. Ultimately, I just did to give the well-deserved finger to the gun control nutjobs!

[Edited to add] No pics yet. Camera is at Pentax awaiting warranty repair.....

How dare you............not post pics of your fine gunsmithing skills. Lets see some pics with the romanian sidefolder and the slant brake. Also, did you put on a new FSB with a bayo lug?
Good job, we should send pics of all our no-ban rifles to feinswine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:33:21 AM EST
PICS!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:51:16 AM EST
Here's mine threaded with a slant brake and plum furniture sitting below my SAM-7s. I'm still debating taking off the brake on the SAM-7s.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:21:13 PM EST
bystander,

Oh no, don't take the brake off! I have one just like your's, looks good, works good. I just bought a bunch of brakes & hiders for my romys, but just can't bring myself to change the "Mamba".
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:27:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2004 4:31:00 PM EST by innocent_bystander]
But this is what the muzzle should look like. The Bulgarian AR-M1 is the full auto version of the SAM-7s. 24mm fsb with a M-14 style flash hider.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:57:53 AM EST
Zhukov, you said you had to drift out one of the FSB pins to get your brake on, how hard was that to do? Were there any little tricks you did to make it easier such as heating the FSB up a little?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:06:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 5:07:15 AM EST by Zhukov]

Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Zhukov, you said you had to drift out one of the FSB pins to get your brake on, how hard was that to do? Were there any little tricks you did to make it easier such as heating the FSB up a little?

You need to drift out the pin to get in the spring and plunger which keep the brake from coming loose possibly. They're a real PITA to get out. I laid the rifle sideways on my bench and supported the FSB on a piece of wood. Don't use a pin punch, because it will likely break. I used a tapered nail set, but it took a pretty good pounding to get it out. Gloftoe had to use a 3lb sledge to get his out . I didn't heat it up, but that may work. Getting it back in was relatively easy, since I didn't completely remove the pin.
Top Top