Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2005 2:50:07 PM EDT
Ive been trying to convince my friend to buy an AK for a while now, he wants an AR, hes convinced the .223 round is the ultimate or something. Give me some facts/reasons why he should take an AK. I know for what hes looking for(general SHTF close, medium range weapon) this is it, but he seems to think that the .223 is a freaking lazer beam or something. Anyway, gives me some points I can use to turn him to the dark side. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like he's been reading on the AR side

Has he fired an AK before? I think if he saw whats available on the AK market.
His interests in an AK might change. He can buy an AK in .223 too.
I'd take a 5.45mm before a .223 AK but that's IMO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The 5.56 compared to the 7.62 is not bad at all. Considering all he will do with it is plink and maybe in the future do some target shooting. An AR would be a good fit for him. This may be AK blasphemy but that's my 2 cents. Speaking for a SHTF weapon, he probably just wants what he sees every police, swat and miltary men carrying on tv.

It's a good rifle to have and introduces him into the sport of shooting. Let him get one, and go shooting with him, just make it a point to bring out your AK everytime... he'll eventually come around. They all do.

Once he has an AR he will want an AK. In all due time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him to get an AK in .223!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tell him to get an AK in .223!

Yep, SAR 3!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Arsenal SA M-5S, the best of both worlds, while there's still a couple out there ...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Let him buy it, then remind him to clean his gun after its been fired, no matter how many rounds went through it, he'll beg for an Ak after that! Seriously, I never clean my AR anymore because its so filthy, it doesn't matter if its 50 or 150 rounds, the thing is caked in carbon!!!! Also, tell him the 7.62 penetrates better, has cheaper mags, is cheaper to shoot, and in a SHTF situation would be readily availible in Opfor ammo caches. (5.45 would fit the latter case best, but 7.62 would be found anyways) The only thing .223 has going for it is fragmentation, but thats only a %50 occurance, and only at certain ranges.

BTW, everything I have said is garnered form info found here, if some of you would like to clear up my facts, feel free to, for you probably know more than I do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn it tell him to buy both weapons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
What Jake said. Got an AR because I wanted to get into the sport, 8 months later got an AK and I love them both. He will  be a darkside member before you know it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Let him buy it, then remind him to clean his gun after its been fired, no matter how many rounds went through it, he'll beg for an Ak after that! Seriously, I never clean my AR anymore because its so filthy, it doesn't matter if its 50 or 150 rounds, the thing is caked in carbon!!!! What kind of ammunition are you putting through your $900 AR?Also, tell him the 7.62 penetrates better, has cheaper mags, is cheaper to shoot, and in a SHTF situation would be readily availible in Opfor Opfor? Wolverines!!!ammo caches. (5.45 would fit the latter case best, but 7.62 would be found anyways) The only thing .223 has going for it is fragmentation, but thats only a %50 occurance, and only at certain ranges.Really? That statistic is interesting.

BTW, everything I have said is garnered form info found here, if some of you would like to clear up my facts, feel free to, for you probably know more than I do.

It's a really good idea to clean your AK after you fire it. I'm not talking detail strip.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Damn it tell him to buy both weapons.

The AR15.com motto is "get both".  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top