Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/3/2006 8:23:43 AM EDT
Last night I tried installing the trigger guard. I don't have a jig for it. I had a bolt I milled a hole in the end for the rivet head. I clamped that in the vice then set up the reciever, trigger guard and rivet. I used another bolt for the inside to mash the rivet. It kind of bent the rivet to one side and mashed. It doesn't look as pretty as it did on my SAR I bought. On the SAR it's pushed flat where mine is bent to the side. Does this affect anything or is this how it usually turns out? Also, I can't figure out a damn way to mash the rivets for the front of the trigger guard. The center support gets in the way. How does everyone do it? It's my first build and I have nothing to go by.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:50:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 9:54:56 AM EDT by mykrowyre]
Doesnt really matter as long as it's secure. Only person that knows its there is you.

Could you squeeze something else under the support like a small steel plate, and then support it with another chunk of steel or a long socket while you hammer a red hot rivet in from the trigger guard side? Read about this but haven't tried it. Oh yeah don't head the head, only the shaft of the rivet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:34:54 AM EDT
I use a cheap air chisel I bought from Harbor Freight, use the chisel that comes to a point (I ground mine flat. You can work it onto the from rivets.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HUNGARYAN:
I use a cheap air chisel I bought from Harbor Freight, use the chisel that comes to a point (I ground mine flat. You can work it onto the from rivets.

Or even put a little divot in it so you're not likely to fly off the rivet and damage your receiver.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:04:31 PM EDT
I used an 8" spike, the offset created by the head allowed me to get around the center support. I ground the unused edges from the head ans some from the shaft which helped as well. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:33:23 PM EDT
make 4 divets in the top of your vise jaws to hold your rivets (19/64)
you want all 4 rivets installed befor you start crushing them

now make a small plate that will slide into your rec and covers the top of the rivets

take a punch and hammer and go to town
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:15:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

Originally Posted By HUNGARYAN:

Or even put a little divot in it so you're not likely to fly off the rivet and damage your receiver.

Excellent suggestion! I had mine come off and ding up the receiver a bit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:20:27 PM EDT
Now all I need is a clamp that I can secure the trigger guard/stop with so that I don't end up with the stupid gaps in between them and the receiver. I get tired of drilling out rivets and redoing them so that it looks perfect.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:59:46 PM EDT
Took two pieces of 11/2" channel and drilled rivet divots in them w/ the trigger guard for a template. Bolted them together the correct spacing apart w/ 1/4-20 bolts. Clamped the whole thing down on this jig, and had it ready to squish w/ a press. When I couldn't borrow the press again, I just went to work w/ a 3/16" punch and a ballpeen hammer. A 3/8 bolt w/ a divot in the end can be used to dress the rivets up if need be.
Top Top