Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/18/2006 1:20:42 PM EDT
So here I am on a smoke brake. I have been sand blasting a 7.62 Saiga which I converted to a sidefolder. The rifle was original done by Chris at AKUSA. Now let me tell ya, KG GunKote is some damn good stuff, my opinion the best available to all of us BUT my god, what ever this secret stuff that Chris uses, is insanely tough! I have been working on the receiver for the last 30 minutes!...lol...

Well, back at it...lol...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't he use cerakote?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#2]
For all of the talk about the Polish finish being weak I have a few that I started blasting that completely kicked my ass!

After AN HOUR on a gas tube I said F@%K IT!!!  Never did get the gas tube done!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Just got it in the oven...lol... Almost 4 hours to blast and spray this sucker. The finish Chris uses is damn tough but I did notice that MEK would melt the finish. MEK wont touch GunKote after it is baked. GunKote is also VERY heat resistant. Man if you could combine the two somehow, that would be one motha of a finish.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Doesn't he use cerakote?

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I called up cerakote and they are going to send me some brochures and some painted samples...Looking forward to checking it out...IIRC its was about $100/quart.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Chris does not use Cerakote. He used it briefly but it was too brittle for use on Kalshnikov variants. He uses his own proprietary process.

This information is accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top