Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2010 6:36:08 PM EDT
Do top covers always interchange? I know Yugos have the extra locking pin / release
Need to replace a dented cover on a milled rifle I just acquired
Thx
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Do top covers always interchange? I know Yugos have the extra locking pin / release

Yugo top covers are shorter than other variants as well.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've seen, all non-Yugo top covers interchange. Slight adjustments have been needed for some of mine to interchange, but for the most part, they're all universal.

I run Saiga top covers on all of my AKs just because I like the smooth surface instead of the ribbed. I keep all the original paper thin ribbed top covers around because some of them have serial numbers on them that match the rifles they came off of.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Need to replace a dented cover on a milled rifle I just acquired
Thx

Just get a replacement from K-Var, the ones for the milled receivers are just $17.50 brand new. These are approximately .015" thicker (depending on where you measure) than the ribbed/coined standard AKM style and these new covers will also fit any basic AKM.

You could also easily make a new cover for a Yugo by shortening one of these and notching the lower rear of the cover to clear the latch button release.

They seem to be readily available all of the time (probably because they show them as for milled receivers) and already have a nice finish that would  match most AK black paint colors, therefore not requiring any painting (they even are bore solvent resistant),  just snap it on.

Also works well if you are building a Russian clone.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top