Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 4:39:17 AM EDT
My AK shoots good groups, but way right. I can't get the front sight to move at all. Any tips on moving the front sight? I was thinking of getting the Williams rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy a US made front sight adjusting tool. You can get one for about $10-$12.
Do not buy a Chinese made tool. The steel is too soft and the hole for the front sight slide is too small for the slide on European rifles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My AK shoots good groups, but way right. I can't get the front sight to move at all. Any tips on moving the front sight? I was thinking of getting the Williams rear sight that is adjustable for windage and elevation. Thanks for the help.

Some sights are extremely stiff. I experienced the same thing with a few of my AKs and one inparticular was so stiff, it bent the AK adjustment tool. If you ask around, you'll see plenty of other AK owners have bent their adjustment tools as well. That's when I decided to make my own from commercial pipe hangar c-clamps. They're rated at 500lbs and will not bend. I have yet to meet a front sight that can defeat my device.

Anyway, here is what it looks like. If you have a drill press, hacksaw, files and a thread tap, you can do it too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the sight tools (don't know where it was made) and it is not getting the sight to budge.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have one of the sight tools (don't know where it was made) and it is not getting the sight to budge.

Hit the front sight with some PB blaster, it might just be gunked up real good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Measure the hole. US made is approximately 7/16", Chinese made is approximately 3/8".
I've only seen one US made tool. It says USA (among other things). The Chinese one I have (and others I've seen) is marked N.C.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#6]
normal....IM sent to you!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Even the good Tapco tool won't budge some front sights. An easy way to do it is to soak the area with penetrating oil and then use a bench vise to move it. Find a socket large enough to go around the drum on the side you want it moved and use a brass bushing or something on the side of the drum you want to push on. Line it all up in the vise and go. The socket can be wrapped with a rag to protect the finish, the same purpose a soft brass bushing or similar serves.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I got it!. Soaked it in Breakfree all day and then torqued that mutha' for all I was worth and bingo! Thanks for all of the input. I am going to put some more Breakfree on it before I go to shoot it this week so that I will be able to get it sighted in, but it is moving easier already after getting it moving.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top