Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:39:50 AM EDT
Gentlemen & Ladies,

I am on the prowl again for ONE more kit to finish my AK binge.  Being a newbie I don't know the difference between all the different numbers and letters like AKM, AMD and all that. What I am looking for is a GOOD quality full sized AK with these things:

7.62mm X 39mm OR 5.56mm X 45mm (7.62mm preferred)

Fixed Stock.

Stamped receiver type

Regular or Carbine length, no long barrels

Other than that, just a good quality rifle that will serve as a reliable shooter. No "Safe Queen's" or Magazine Cover guns needed or wanted. I can always change the furniature, but if the wood is good I'd like to keep the 'stock' look as much as possible. No vertical front grips. (Again, as much as possible).

I'm looking for good quality, not cheap. Anyone have any suggestions? How hard is it to build a Yugo with one of them funny front trunions? Are receivers hard to get? Are Bulgarian AK's worth the added cost just for the chrome lined barrel? I don't expect the gun to l;ast forever and I clean my weapons good and care for them.

Oh and what is a "Dark Bore"? and is it a bad thing?

Thanks again gang.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I personally like the vertical foregrip.  I'd wait around for the unissued Yugo kits that are suppose to make their way to the market later this year.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]
" Dark Bore" means the barrel is rusted. This description is most often applied to Yugo kits because the Yugoslavians used corrosive ammo and did not chrome line the barrels. Dark bore can mean light rust which can be cleaned or it can mean the bore looks like a sewer pipe. from reading this board I conclude that the Yugos are a crap shoot.

Buy a Romy. Put it together using the vertical front grip. Shoot it. If you don't like the grip, change it. Just my.02
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:32:35 AM EDT
[#4]
For a shooter, I agree there's very little reason to go with other than a Romanian in today's market.  The military AK's beat the crap out of their commercial offerings.

The Yugos are well built rifles, but they're also well used.  Recievers I believe are out there, but rare and expensive.  They're a very interesting variant, but a little esoteric for a guy who just wants a reliable bullethose.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!

I had my suspicions about the Romys. Alot of my friends said they must be crap since they are so cheap, but I suspected otherwise. I've seen alot of Romanian builds here on the board and have read alot of positive remarks about them, enough to convince me they must be a good buy. I also checked out the Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles website and they sound like they are a hell of a rifle (except for the terminal trigger slap)

Thanks for the recommendations. The Romy's sound like they fit the bill to a "T". I don't need a rifle that can shoot pimples of a fly's butt at a 100 yards, nor do I need some fancy shmancy brand spankin lookin rifle either. I want a good reliable hearty "Pack" rifle that I can hike with that used a .30 caliber bullet that I can use as an alternate to my trusty M1 Carbine.

I'm not a closed minded person, and can probably deal with the Romy's vert grip, but I just happen to prefer 'regular' foregrips. I have only one AR15 with a vert grip on it, and it's OK, I just like my regular ones better.

Who's selling GOOD grade Romanian AK47 kits these days?

Are there any fittment issues associated with the Romy's and US made furniature?

Thanks again guys!

E
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Get your Rommie here for cheap.   Just ordered 2 for $176 shipped!

AIM Surplus sale link

TODAY is the last day of the sale!  Get em now!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top