Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2003 5:15:56 AM EDT
I was at a friends range and this "Im God" range officer type comes over and starts yelling in my ear about, my sight picture, my AK's and my ammo.

He sticks a magnet on the Wolf ammo and said "this is steel" and I thought he was going to start going crazy and saying Im shooting steel core on "his" range and all that crap. So I got real defensive but he was trying to tell me it is steel with a copper wash.

Well, he was going on and on about how I was headed to ruin my barrel real soon and all that good stuff. I just thought about how many thousands and thousands of rounds in all the 3rd world counties AK's have seen ands they are fine.

He also goes on about how all that surplus ammo never comes from the same place. I say "Wolf comes from the Tula plant in Russia" and he went nuts. "No, its all from different places over there, they just tell you that"

First of all, he had no right to get in my ear and rude at me. I wasn't breaking any of the range rules. Second, these match shooting guys and bolt action only guys I think are out just looking for confritation with us evil AW owners.

Piss's me off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
i feel ya, i love know it alls,
they kinda remind me of blowhunter   hehehe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Jeeze, did you tell hime it has steel casings?

Did you tell him that wolf isn't surplus ammo?

I've had experiences like that.  Guys who know nothing about assault rifles will come over and get on you about features they don't understand, like bolt hold opens and the fact that the safety on an AR won't go on unless it's cocked.  

It's still fun though.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks man. He knows there aren't many other places to go either. People like that guy give other people that enjoy shooting a bad name. I had a similar experience at the Cresap range in Frederick. I brought my wife to show her how my H&K .45 USP functions. It's the gun I had out and loaded for home defense, and I wanted her to know how it worked. From the minute we got there, this overweight middle aged ass comes over and starts reading me the riot act about how I should have started her on a .22 cal first. He's probably right, and I agreed with him. I had my wife there mostly for safety reasons. My wife has NO interest in shooting guns. The problem was he wouldn't leave! He stood there and said the same thing over and over again about a thousand times until we left. When I would start to shoot he would interrupt me to tell me about how a .22 is ideal for beginners. When I tried to explain that I understood his point, it was as if I hadn't said a word. I've never been back to that range.
So far the rangemasters approach at Elk Neck is my favorite: He drives by once and awhile and watches.
Oh, M4, when are you gonna help me zero my new Cobra?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
M4,

What range were you at?

2IDdoc,

Where's the Elk Neck Range?  Cecil county?
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Current Wolf is stamped 'Wolf' on the casehead, not 'TCW'.

I was blowing off some 97 stock wolf that has 'TCW' on the headstamp
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
There are some rounds packed by Tula under the Wold brand that aren't made at TCW, such as the 200 grain 7.62X54R ammo which I believe is made at Novosibirsk. But that bozo range officer wouldn't have known that, especially if he thinks a chrome lined Com bloc barrel is going to be immediately ruined by com-bloc type ammo.
-C
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Funny, I was just in the "library" flipping through the Midway catalog looking at this very thing.

Here's the Bi-Metal:

And the Copper:

So I guess you want the yellow box for copper.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#9]

I'm pretty sure the 9mm Wolf has been farmed out to other places from time to time.

Some of the 1 K cases look like normal Wolf 9mm,( green laquer) and some looks like "Brown Bear" in Wolf packaging.  ( not that I care, mine you )

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top