Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/17/2003 6:35:15 PM EDT
Well, I just started wandering off of the AR boards and happen to find myself here in the AK board. Now I've definately got the black rifle fever w/ a new RRA varminter and a bunch of reloading equipment so I don't have to pay the big bucks for black hills, but I've been kinda missing the "shooting countless rounds with reckless abandon" in doing that (though I do like to see those groups getting smaller with my AR ). Anyway, whats a good AK to start off with? It seems like there are a lot of variations from different countries and companies, and I don't want to get stuck w/ a dud and a big dent in my wallet. Where's a good place to get one within the price range of about $300, give or take $100? Also, what caliber is the cheapest concerning mags and ammo?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2003 6:59:54 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:47:09 AM EDT
Cheapest and still good is a handpicked SAR. 125gr whumps with 4" groups in SAR1, 60gr hits with 2-2 1/2" groups in SAR2&3s. SAR3/5.56 AK mags cost as much as AR mags, but 5.45 ammo is not at normally at your corner hardware store. Nothing cheaper than 7.62x39 besides .22.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:14:46 PM EDT
Aimless, who sold you that sexy rototiller? Must have picked you a good one...

Seriously, other than a Hesse/Vulcan assembled rifle, I haven't heard of any bad current production AKs... just varying degrees of excellence in appearance, but they all go bang every time. How can you beat $8 mags and $75 cases of ammo?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:19:42 PM EDT
I have a kickass time with my SAR1.

ammo is cheap and plentiful
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:58:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 5:16:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2003 5:17:06 AM EDT by mister2]
What everybody said on their choice of SAR-1 and 7.62. And there are more than enough sources around the $ 290 - 300 mark. Having bought mail order, I sure want to inspect the next one I buy.

The fit and finish may be agricultural but you only get what you pay for. Still and all, be prepared for a cultural shock if you're accustomed to the production quality you've gotten used to with your AR.

The best way to enjoy your SAR-1 is to get one and blast away. Don't think MOA or (too much) shooting comfort 'cause that's where the big money sprouts wings and flies away. Check this out:

http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/

...and good luck!

MR2
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:22:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2003 7:52:58 AM EDT by rickinvegas]
Here is my 2 cents and a comment/question:

I have owned 2 AK types over the years, a MAK90 (stolen) and a SLR-95 (still have). It seems that every time the "what to buy" question comes up the focus is immediately on the SAR's. Now I am in no way an expert and maybe having since caught the AR bug (I own 3 now with a fourth on the way), my perspective has been skewed, but the SAR's just appear to me to be a raging piece of crap. I am not trying to flame ANYONE here but besides the easy availability and relatively cheap price (and I fully acknowledge the value) I can't see the attraction with the SAR's when a little shopping around will net you a better rifle. I too am shopping for another AK. I would like one with a little more traditional AK "look" (ie. wood) and one that does not weigh 57 lbs. (ie. stamped). At the last local show, I passed up a NIB MAK for $299. I was in a big hurry and wasn't thinking . Now that might have been a fluke but I am sure I will be able to find a MAK in the $399 range in the near future.
I am just thinking out loud here but I would hesitate steering someone, especially an AR guy, toward the SAR. I know I would not be totally happy with one especially if I knew that $100+/- more would get me a far superior weapon.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:44:33 AM EDT
ak? AK??

You can't handle an AK!

I agree with most everyone that an SAR from AIM sounds like what you are looking for. If it does not look okay send it back.

Be careful. Once the power of the darkside is upon you there is no escape
Top Top