Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 10:39:21 AM EDT
I'm seeing some decent prices on WASR 10's and am considering picking one up, I'm not an AK guy but I have shot them and appreciate what they are and figure It would be useful to have around, for the price point are these the best option or is there something better? I obviously would love a new Arsenal but there are other things I would like better than dropping that coin on an AK. This will not be my "primary weapon" but mostly a fun range toy, potential close range hog gun, etc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:01:36 AM EDT
Do it there are a few places that have them for 499 if you look.

They are not "nice" or pretty, but they will do work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:07:45 AM EDT
I bought one last year for $800. It feeds and fires reliably. I cant hit very well with the factory sights, am considering a  mi optic mount.

Centerfire systems has a tuna can of modern made romanian ammo for $170 shipped, not bad

I kinda want a second to tac up.

I prefer AR because it is more refined feeling.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:26:39 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hodgescl:

View Quote

Where are they $499?  PM me if you have too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:14:44 PM EDT
I like mine, it is a Model T of guns, not fancy, but works all the time
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:17:04 PM EDT
Do it.

Not fancy, but I love mine (I also have an SGL-21, SLR-106fr, and SA85M) and the WASR is what I usually pick up first.  1000rds and hiccup free.  Damn accurate to boot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2014 1:15:38 PM EDT by devious-1]
I've owned two WASR's, the first of which had to be returned, due to serious mechanical difficulties. The one I received in return functioned just fine, but came with some serious cant on the FSP, cracked hand guards, and overall shitty fit and finish. I could have lived with one of the three, but wasn't interested in having all the above. That said, If I found myself in a wanting to pick a cheap AK, (maybe a truck gun) I'd still buy another WASR, just not one I couldn't put my hands on first.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:24:05 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses, I have an AR so that base is covered but I need something for the other end of the spectrum and from what I am hearing I definitely think the WASR will fit the role, the lower prices on ammo is definitely appealing as well. Originally I wanted to build another AR but I think buying a WASR and spending a couple hundred on ammunition would be a wiser choice at this point. I would love to find out where there are $499 rifles, although the ones I'm finding online are only 520-540ish which is really not too bad in my opinion for a reliable, quite high power in the correct range rifle. I will not be shooting this past 100 yards as it is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:55:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Camu:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Camu:
Originally Posted By hodgescl:

$499.95

$549.95 with bayonet lug and slant comp
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:52:24 PM EDT
OPAP

Originally Posted By Goodshot:
I'm seeing some decent prices on WASR 10's and am considering picking one up, I'm not an AK guy but I have shot them and appreciate what they are and figure It would be useful to have around, for the price point are these the best option or is there something better? I obviously would love a new Arsenal but there are other things I would like better than dropping that coin on an AK. This will not be my "primary weapon" but mostly a fun range toy, potential close range hog gun, etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:33:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By stpolaris:
OPAP

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stpolaris:
OPAP

regarding the PAP rifles I'm confused by what the primary differences are, but to the untrained eye and uninitiated AK aficionado all I can tell is the front hand guard looks kinda wonky, zero idea on effect or cause.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:03:39 AM EDT
Main thing to watch out for on budget AKs is canted sights. I looked at 4 different WASRs before I bought mine, just to get an idea what an average example looks like. The majority of aftermarket stuff fits the WASR, best option if you're looking to change or upgrade. OPAPs are great rifles too, but it's my understanding that they're no longer being made or imported and are being replaced with the NPAP. I lean towards the WASR because it's a little lighter than the average AK and it has a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 11:40:51 AM EDT by Ej6fade]
Originally Posted By Texasclouds:
I bought one last year for $800. It feeds and fires reliably. I cant hit very well with the factory sights, am considering a  mi optic mount.
View Quote

Are your sights canted badly? My FSB is canted left, front sight post canted right, rear sight canted right, and I can consistently hit 12" steel targets at 100, 150, and 200 yards with my WASR. It isn't a sub-moa hole puncher, but it is accurate enough. Those monkeys that put my gun together somehow got it right
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 11:46:15 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses, I have an AR so that base is covered but I need something for the other end of the spectrum and from what I am hearing I definitely think the WASR will fit the role, the lower prices on ammo is definitely appealing as well. Originally I wanted to build another AR but I think buying a WASR and spending a couple hundred on ammunition would be a wiser choice at this point. I would love to find out where there are $499 rifles, although the ones I'm finding online are only 520-540ish which is really not too bad in my opinion for a reliable, quite high power in the correct range rifle. I will not be shooting this past 100 yards as it is.
View Quote

Definitely pick up an AK of some sort, WASR, NPAP, OPAP, etc. I much prefer shooting my AK to my AR, imo it is much more fun
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:35:39 PM EDT
If you can actually go pick one out on your own at a LGS or semi LGS, I would.  I would pay an extra 50-100 to be able to inspect and confirm that everything is how it should be.  WASRs are not bad guns.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:41:52 PM EDT
My first two AK's were WASRs and they both worked perfectly. No canted sights and never jammed. I had fun working on those guns to make them look better, refinishing the stocks, etc. I sold them like a dummy a few years ago after I bought other AK rifles. I wish I had kept at least one of them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:06:17 PM EDT
I can not bring myself to buy anything from, Century Arms International way bad experiances with there arms.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:24:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2014 5:31:40 PM EDT by devious-1]
Originally Posted By thornejc:
If you can actually go pick one out on your own at a LGS or semi LGS, I would.  I would pay an extra 50-100 to be able to inspect and confirm that everything is how it should be.  WASRs are not bad guns.
View Quote

+1.  Spending a few extra bucks to buy a rifle you've been able to hand select is money well spent, be it a WASR or PAP.  And no, WASR's aren't bad guns, except when you get a bad one.. :)
As for the PAP's, if you're coming off a lightweight AR build, that PAP's gonna feel heavy.. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:48:37 PM EDT
Do it!!  refinish it,  love it

" />
Top Top