Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2006 11:15:51 PM EDT
After the years with the AR guns i happened to come across a link selling them with a pair of mags and a sling with bayonet for like 320 so i'm thinking why not.

Question i have is i'm looking at a romanian WASR on AIM and the wood looks like pine from the picture... I mean i realize it's probably not but is it something you've really got to change like it will break if you don't?

Heck I gotta warm up for when hte new 552 sigs come out right?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The wood on that AK as strong as an A2 Ar stock.  It is a big ass chunk of wood.

Many have refinished the wood on these rifles and had very nice results, it is a nice hardwood.  My SAR wood came out great.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#2]
kewl.. as longas it's not like flimsy stuff..

i've done alot of refnishing as well as stocks from blanks so it shouldn't be too difficult..

for 300bucks i can't help but think why hte hell not.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
for 300bucks i can't help but think why hte hell not.

Thats how the AK thing starts, at first its a WASR for 3 bills and you think "Why not buy an evil gun for three hundred" Then you start to move up and want more, and more, and more, and more.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#5]
If your getting a WASR then don't expect too much out of the box, it'll probably need some tweaking ...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If your getting a WASR then don't expect too much out of the box, it'll probably need some tweaking ...

What tweaking did yours need?  Ive got two of them and they have been great right out of the box......maybe Im just lucky.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#7]
What I meant was don't expect it be like his AR. Most WASR's and SAR's I've seen have canted front sights, poor machining and such, I've even seen them with canted rear sight blocks. I surely wouldn't order one, it would be better to hand pick it at a show. I personally don't care much for the Romanian rifles but that's just me, no offense intended to you WASR guys ...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
After the years with the AR guns i happened to come across a link selling them with a pair of mags and a sling with bayonet for like 320 so i'm thinking why not.

Question i have is i'm looking at a romanian WASR on AIM and the wood looks like pine from the picture... I mean i realize it's probably not but is it something you've really got to change like it will break if you don't?

Heck I gotta warm up for when hte new 552 sigs come out right?

There is nothing wrong with WASRs, they just require a little work to make them look and perform nice, however all of this work is not going to cost more than a few bucks (literally) and some of your time.  I actually liked the fact that the rifle came with unfinished wood, because that means you can do it the way YOU WANT IT. Me personally, I just used a couple sheets of sand paper to smooth it out, then applied a few coats of cherry colored stain and then a few coats of poly to protect it and give it a glossy look and feel. However, another problem that my rifle had that not all, but some do is trigger slap.  It wasnt to bad when I first got the rifle, but it seemed to get worst after puting about a thousand rounds thru it.  However, it was easily fixed by grinding that stupid tab off the disconnector, there is a tutorial here that says how to do the fix, in case your rifle is a little uncomfortable to shoot due to trigger slap.  www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm

But if you are considering getting a WASR, I would not recommend ordering one.. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you go to a sporting goods store, or a gun show and hand pick your ak, that way you can take a look at it and make sure the sights are straight.  It will also even be cheaper this way, because you can find them at the same price that aim is selling them for, but you wont have to pay shipping.  Ya, the romanians sometimes need a little work when you get them out of the box, but after all thats done, im pretty happy with it.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Out of the box my WASR needed a lot of cleaning/soaking and casmoline removal to eliminate FTF's. I also got the AK WINDAGE & ELEVATION SIGHT TOOL from Tapco for sighting in.
Yeah a little effort but I like my AK.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Do yourself a favor and skip the WASR and buy a Yugo M70 from Centerfire for $399.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thats how the AK thing starts, at first its a WASR for 3 bills and you think "Why not buy an evil gun for three hundred" Then you start to move up and want more, and more, and more, and more.

ha, so it just gets worse after ya get the first one huh?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
My first AK was a WASR.  I liked it, then I learned about the design of the weapon, and that's when I got hooked.  The WASR is a good starter AK,  low investment, if you don't like it and you sell it you only take a $100 - $150 hit on a new trade.

Keep in mind, the WASR is p.o.s. most other ak's are better than it.  That said: The WASR will still shoot every time and eat any ammo you put in it.  It is a tough s.o.b.

Things to watch out for:

Canted sight

Canted gas block

Some have shitty furniture, but this is mostly cosmetic.

Take your time picking one out.  I highly suggest you find a place where you can handle them before you buy it.  That might cost you 10-30 dollars more, but it is worth it for the peace of mind IMO, Instead of getting that "smoking" deal off of the internet.

Realisticly your looking at more like $400-$430 out the door.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My first AK was a WASR.  I liked it, then I learned about the design of the weapon, and that's when I got hooked.  The WASR is a good starter AK,  low investment, if you don't like it and you sell it you only take a $100 - $150 hit on a new trade.

Keep in mind, the WASR is p.o.s. most other ak's are better than it.  That said: The WASR will still shoot every time and eat any ammo you put in it.  It is a tough s.o.b.

Things to watch out for:

Canted sight

Canted gas block

Some have shitty furniture, but this is mostly cosmetic.

Take your time picking one out.  I highly suggest you find a place where you can handle them before you buy it.  That might cost you 10-30 dollars more, but it is worth it for the peace of mind IMO, Instead of getting that "smoking" deal off of the internet.

Realisticly your looking at more like $400-$430 out the door.

400-430??? Are you kidding me?? I would totally not pay that much for a WASR.  I bought mine at fin, feather, and fur for 320 dollars and for that price, I got to pick the rifle out myself, owners manual, cleaning kit in the stock, 2 magazines, and sling.  However, I guess if you want to count tax and be techinical it was probably about 350.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I got my wasr ten high cap from aimsurplus and it needed a good paintjob and sighting in but notihns canted and i laugh at people who pay more for other aks while saying wasrs suck. Theyre using new receivers now from the 70s n 80s n i love my gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah the WASR is so durable that the hole in the reciever for the trigger pin enlarged so that the pins would walk out. What a durable rifle.

You get what you pay for, I think it best to go straight for an Arsenal or VEPR and if you dont like the AK then sell it, it would go easily on the EE. These shoot half the MOA that a WASR shoots, and if you are mostly an AR guy then you will really notice this and appreciate the quality of an Arsenal or VEPR.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top