Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:57:48 AM EDT
My favorite shooting spot is a National Forest Range in the Cherokee National Forest,but on pretty days and weekends you have to deal with alot of other People.I wait till the weather is bad,cold,snowy or raining.Today I had all three conditions so I grabbed the 74 and the Yugo underfolder with eight mags each and headed for the Mountains.Not surprisingly,I was the only one there and started with my In Range built Yugo.To check function,I ran three mags through it fast without any problems,then I ran three more with the same result.I forgot to grab any targets on the way out but I bounced a gallon milk jug around at 150 yards till I was down to one mag.I repeated the same process with the 74 with the same results,I love the total lack of recoil of the 74.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I love the total lack of recoil of the 74.

Good to hear you love your 74
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I do like the 74!I was a little worried about the polymer Wolf FMJ after reading some of the reports,but I did'nt have any problems with it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Next time I ride down to deals gap i'll fit my AKS74U (should be built by then) in my saddle bags, You'll have to meet me down there and we'll blow off a few hundred rounds. I love the cherokee mountains, I took a pretty bad fall on my bike in June of 04, but i'll be down there again this comming summer to ride the dragon again. McM
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had any problems with Wolf 5.45, it's not as accurate as Barnaul though.

Right now, I'd buy either since it's hard to find but I can wait.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Motorcityman,let me know,I'm about an hour and a half away from Deals Gap,"The Dragon"322 curves in eleven miles!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
man, I would of liked to have seen some pics of the conditions you describe, sounds like fun!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
man, I would of liked to have seen some pics of the conditions you describe, sounds like fun!

I left the camera at home with my targets,it [to me] was beautiful,the Mountains were inveloped by the clouds about half way down and it was spitting snow the whole time,the temp was around 35F.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I do like the 74!I was a little worried about the polymer Wolf FMJ after reading some of the reports,but I did'nt have any problems with it.

I think the polymer Wolf works better than the the lacquer stuff...I shot a about 300rnds of the lacquer stuff out of my AR and would have a FTE about once out of every hunderd.  Since then I've gone through about 500rnds of the new stuff and zero problems.  I haven't tried lacquer Wolf in my SLR.  I'll post some pics when I get my AK-100 stock put on.  I love your 74.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Yesterday I swapped out the Bulgy 74 brake for an East German 74 brake,the EG brake has the zig zag cuts as opposed to the half moon cuts and the shoulder is a little higher on the EG but the forward divider is narrower.The East German brake is mounted with the Bulgy brake to the side.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm interested in one of the zig zag brakes myself, along with one of those Bulgarian flash hiders with 24 mm threads.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Check with Global Trades,they have the East German Brakes with the zig zag cuts for 39.99.I believe the narrower forward rib on top with the wider rib on the bottom made a difference.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Did you notice any difference between the Bulgarian and German brakes, I mean in blast/handling?

Templar,It's been awhile since I fired it with the Bulgy brake,but there was absolutely no muzzle climb during rapid fire with the East German brake and recoil was non-existant.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top