Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 2:46:30 PM EDT
When my Dad returned home from Vietnam early in 1967,he handed me[at 5 years old]a short brimmed Tiger striped Boonie hat.It was a prized possession[that I wore proudly]for years.At some point it was put in an old chest along with some other treasures I've held dear most of my life.One evening last week my Son,he'll be 4 in December,was attempting to play my Special Ops game and somehow got into the Vietnam level and noticed the difference in the uniforms.I explained the difference and told him about Tiger Stripes,I also mentioned my old boonie hat.Today I found my old boonie hat and gave it to him,my Dad was also present and was as surprised as my Son to see the old hat he'd given me almost 37 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Your father and his fellow servicemembers will never be forgotten.

KF
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
God Forbid people not take the initative and educate their Children on the sacrifices of so many in so many different theatres of war.Especially those conflicts since WWII,just take a moment and think back to our Marines in Beiruit,our Sailors on the USS Liberty and countless other times when our People made the ultimate sacrifice.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My father was in the Navy for twenty years and I remember him telling my brother and I about the USS Liberty.  I bet quite a few people don't even know about that incident.....

KF
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#5]
The little Guy even wore the old boonie to bed last night!I remember thats how it affected me too,then it eventually led to my AK addiction.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
A big 'thank-you' to your dad and all present/former servicemembers for their service to our country.  
People like your dad are the ones who make it possible for us have this discussion today.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]
For what it's worth, The Liberty is still a topic of arguement on another board I post on.

There are few things more moving then passing on something that is meaningful to you, to your son and have them cherish it as much, if not more, as you do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
oh man, i thought you were going to give someone an ak47 or something.  got me all jumpie.  lol

and what're your dad doing looting nva hat.  haha.  just joking man.  i am vietnamese.  i am against that war in particular and most wars in general.  :>)

you can buy part kits for those hat now.  actually, you can buy the the actual hat too.  vietnam is importing those newly made hat to the usa because some people actually wear it to the range.  i think it is silly, but then again i wear my redskin or ny hat to the range.  i guess that would make me sport nut.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:30:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

and what're your dad doing looting nva hat.  haha.  just joking man.  i am vietnamese

This hat was'nt NVA,in 1966/67 it was worn by Special Forces A detachments and South Vietnameese Strikers.Welcome to the USA.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top