Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/27/2006 7:53:28 PM EDT
Just finished her tonight.  Next step is to test fire and then refinish.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. Unfortunately for me, mine is still in a box. What's the story with the long front trunion rivet. It doesn't look like its there. Again, nice build. I can't wait to get mine built.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What was the bore like. On the bullet test how much is showing and what ammo are testing it with. I'm kinda curious if  I got a bad kit or if they are all in my condition. Pics would be nice on that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks beautiful!

Who has the best YUGO RPK?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The front trunion rivet.  Short story.  It is still in there, part of it anyway, along with my part of my punch.  Ha!  Anyway, I drilled out a 1/4" hole throught the rivet hole in the reciever and tigged welded that area to the trunion and then sanded it down smooth.  I know some people have problems with welds on an AK, but it was really my only option considering the trouble that front rivet gave me.  On all my kits, this one did not want to come out.  Hey, if it is stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Anyways, the bore is in very good shape.  Not excellent, but very good.  It is not dark, a little speckle throughout, the rifling is not "crisp" like on a new barrel, but  the lands and groves are all nice and deep and all there.  The bullet sits in the end of the rifling just about like on my MAK-90.  I really can't complain.  It has a lot of life left in it.  I got it from centerfire back in January and I did not even have this one handpicked.  I lucked out.  It is all matching serial numbers too.

The wood is actually refinished. The picture does not really do it  justice.  I might put another coat on it yet. It took a lot of sanding to get the bad blemishes out. I will probably leave the wood as it is now.  It still has a little of that battlefield look in it.  The lower handgaurd, you can see the initials "JD".  The guys full name is carved on the bottom of the handgaurd.  I left his name engraved in the handguard.  Just did not feel right to erase that part of the history.  

I'll have to post another pic after it is re-blued.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great. Let us know how she runs!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I finally got out for a quick test fire.  She ate 3 30rd mags without a hickup.  Time to get to refinishing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good.

Jane at CFS is supposed to ship my M72 next week.

My receiver should be at the FFL next week and tommorow im getting the FCG.

Hopefully mine will look as good as yours. I did the same thing with getting a punch stuck in the front trunion, luckily my friend got it out for me.

It will be me 3rd Yugo build so hopefully ive mastered getting the long rivots out.

FREE
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top