Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/17/2003 3:08:38 PM EDT
It aint much, but it gets me by ;)

My favorite toy, still unfired.

From the left: Sig P226 9mm, Colt 6400C (M4A3 style), Romanian PSL with 8x scope, Romanian SAR1

I really like all the weapons, the SAR1 is on loan from a buddy, he did well cleaning up the action, but the bore was almost black. 3 pulls from a boresnake fixed that. I need to get out and break in the PSL. The wood on the PSL and AK is pretty nice, nothing like some I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you talking about it aint much? Looks like you have a firearm for every application. You have exactly what you need!

I was thinking about getting one of those romak 3's, how do you like it?
What do you like and what dont you like about them?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

At least for me the 'don't like' is the buttstock is too short.  I'm looking for a rubber pad to help out some.  Also availability of additional mags is not good.  Fortunately a bunch of mags is not a necessity for this type rifle but just the same mag availability is a problem.

(I just bought an NIB SSG-97 with an 8X scope from Inter Ordnance for $694.95 + shipping.  Saw several used guns for around $800.)
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are you talking about it aint much? Looks like you have a firearm for every application. You have exactly what you need!

Heh yeah, thats what I was trying to accomplish with my guns...Home Defense, accurate plinking and longer range defense, shooting stuff at 600+ meters, and plinking with the intent to miss most of the time.

Its great, definitely worth the cheaper price than say an M1A. Mine came with no scratches in the wood or the receiver. Definitely better qual than your standard SAR1.

Ive heard rumors about the bullet not stabalizing for 200+ m, hence the low MOA ratings at 100m (With the wolf 148G ive personally seen 1.25 MOA from 5 rounds, but with surplus expect about 2+ MOA)

Its a fantastic rifle, the scope is crystal clear, and the rifle has tons of appeal with its looks. The scope also has the added feature of having the ability to range a 5' 8" target out to a 1000m. I figure any rifle that uses a scope thats designed to find the range of another human being is worth a second look, cause its probably good at what it does ;)

Keep in mind its not a sniper rifle, more of a MBR/Marksman tool. The barrel has a tendency to string shots apart if you fire more than 5-10 rounds a minute. The surplus ammo (Like that crate of Czech silvertip in the picture) is the same price as 7.62x39 (1000/$100)...the wolf is twice that..but worth the extra accuracy.

Its turned into my favorite gun and I havent even shot it yet. Its economical, historical (wonder how much it will be worth in 20 years), and definitely going to be fun to shoot.

When I take it up to plink, ill take some action shots.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh yeah, thats what I was trying to accomplish with my guns...Home Defense, accurate plinking and longer range defense, shooting stuff at 600+ meters, and plinking with the intent to miss most of the time.

Its great, definitely worth the cheaper price than say an M1A. Mine came with no scratches in the wood or the receiver. Definitely better qual than your standard SAR1.

Ive heard rumors about the bullet not stabalizing for 200+ m, hence the low MOA ratings at 100m (With the wolf 148G ive personally seen 1.25 MOA from 5 rounds, but with surplus expect about 2+ MOA)

Its a fantastic rifle, the scope is crystal clear, and the rifle has tons of appeal with its looks. The scope also has the added feature of having the ability to range a 5' 8" target out to a 1000m. I figure any rifle that uses a scope thats designed to find the range of another human being is worth a second look, cause its probably good at what it does ;)

Keep in mind its not a sniper rifle, more of a MBR/Marksman tool. The barrel has a tendency to string shots apart if you fire more than 5-10 rounds a minute. The surplus ammo (Like that crate of Czech silvertip in the picture) is the same price as 7.62x39 (1000/$100)...the wolf is twice that..but worth the extra accuracy.

Its turned into my favorite gun and I havent even shot it yet. Its economical, historical (wonder how much it will be worth in 20 years), and definitely going to be fun to shoot.

When I take it up to plink, ill take some action shots.

dravisar (anyone),
will you please tell me what ammunition, including bullet weight if you know, will give the best accuracy and where do I buy some ??
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
dravisar (anyone),
will you please tell me what ammunition, including bullet weight if you know, will give the best accuracy and where do I buy some ??

I hear the S&B and the Czheck Silver tip match stuff is really good.

I have only tried the Wolf 7.62X54R out of my mosin and that was really acccurate.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Its definitely the Wolf 148G bimetal round. By far the most accurate for the price.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/855743

most other ammo distributors sell it, other than Ammoman.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice collection.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
When I shoot the czech stuff ill report on it. Some have said its practically match ammo, others say it shoots the same as the rest of the surplus. Just make sure you dont shoot anything more than 148G bullets, the 180 and 200G will beat the crap out of your PSL. They were designed for the lighter LPS rounds. Try AIM surplus, they sell the Hungarian LPS for 44 per 440 rounds. JG sales sells the Wolf, Czech etc. My czech surplus is 1963 date, not a single ding or dent anywhere, nice looking ammo, and was 104 bucks shipped to Washington for 780 rounds. Without shipping its something like 74 bucks. JG sales shipping blows.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Ballistic. And to think I bought the first gun, the Colt, about 4 months ago!

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its definitely the Wolf 148G bimetal round. By far the most accurate for the price.

www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/855743

most other ammo distributors sell it, other than Ammoman.

Thanks for the help on the ammo guys.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When I shoot the czech stuff ill report on it. Some have said its practically match ammo, others say it shoots the same as the rest of the surplus. Just make sure you dont shoot anything more than 148G bullets, the 180 and 200G will beat the crap out of your PSL. They were designed for the lighter LPS rounds. Try AIM surplus, they sell the Hungarian LPS for 44 per 440 rounds. JG sales sells the Wolf, Czech etc. My czech surplus is 1963 date, not a single ding or dent anywhere, nice looking ammo, and was 104 bucks shipped to Washington for 780 rounds. Without shipping its something like 74 bucks. JG sales shipping blows.

Do you happen to have web address for JG ??
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
www.Jgsales.com

no problem, good luck!
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
NIce coverage of the fundamentals in the collection!

My Mosin stash has done well with the Hungarian LPZ and the Czech Silvertip, each about 147gr. And the Hungarian glides thru many range gongs, over 1' tree trunks....
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have found that the Yugo surplus that was out about a year ago shoots the best in my dads rifle.  It holds near MOA with the 8X scope and RSA trigger.  MFS Match shoots better, but finding it is a real problem.

I dislike the pistol grip, it is to large for my small hand, but the stock seems Ok to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
www.Jgsales.com

no problem, good luck!

Thanks !
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I've shot Wolf, not sure of the weight, from my mosin M44 and I think it was more accurate then I was.
Is the PSL basically the same as a Dragunov?
I might have to get one

Quoted:

Quoted:
dravisar (anyone),

I hear the S&B and the Czheck Silver tip match stuff is really good.

I have only tried the Wolf 7.62X54R out of my mosin and that was really acccurate.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is the PSL basically the same as a Dragunov?
I might have to get one

Nah its totally different...check out:

www.dragunov.net

For more info

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Now just add an 11-87 to the pile and call it complete!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I was thinking maybe a benelli M4 ;)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top