Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/21/2004 4:13:50 PM EDT
Okay, I think I'll keep posting new questions/crises in this one thread, so as not to get everyone's hopes up about many new threads. I'm working on converting the single stack Maadi into a decent AK. So far I have put in a Tapco FCG, which is now up and running. I have been working on widening the Mag well in the receiver. I think I have it, or am very close. I do have a question though: There are two rails welded to the sides of the receiver below the guide rails/ejector rail. I believe they have been installed to prevent an easy conversion from single to double stack mags. They are about 1 inch long each, installed even with and just above the "dimples" in the receiver. When I try to rock a mag into place, they contact the feed lips of the mag. Can someone comfirm/deny their purpose and/or necessity? I think that if I'm right, I can just grind those suckers out in a short while. BTW, I love my dremel tool and appreciate all the help and feedback you experienced pros give me. THANKS
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 6:25:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2004 6:26:36 PM EDT by 0100010]
Wait for someone who knows for sure to answer, but looking at those lower rails in my AK, they protrude the same distance into the receiver as the dimples. So, I would venture to say you would want to grind them down to the level of the dimples, not all the way off.

If you take a look at the 2nd picture from the bottom on this page you can see the lower rail there. Can't see any dimples though, as its a picture of a WASR 10, an they don't have dimples.
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 7:24:03 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone else want to voice an opinion? I'm trying to go very slow because I don't want to mess this up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 5:56:15 AM EDT
Yes, you will need to trim those supports down so a regular hi-cap mag will fit.
They are there for the single stack mags.

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 5:20:04 PM EDT
Thanks. Will do. Man, I love how simple this thing is!!. Don't worry, I'm taking lots of pictures so everyone can see the bad job I did and the good advice I tried to follow.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 3:01:10 PM EDT
Well, the well is now opened up completely. I've tried my Romy 40 rnder, 3 Bulgarian 30 rnd "Waffles," and 2 20 rnders from Tapco. All fit nicely. I think I'll take my hand files/rifflers and smooth out the ground parts. I still need to get the top handguard off the gas tube, and it's being a problem, and I need to get my stock set in. It's taking a long time, and I wonder why. I ordered it about 1-1.5 weeks ago, and nothing. Other than that, the conversion is looking good. I always said it would take an hour or so to go from "politically correct" to evil. Well, it is taking a little longer, but not that much.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 7:06:06 AM EDT
Getting the handguard off the gas tube is a piece of cake. Just use a set of pliars on the flat edges of the tube with one hand and then just twist off the wood with the other. Doesnt really matter which way you twist, as long as you have a good grip on it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 3:51:06 PM EDT
Thanks, I'm working on it. I also made an interesting discovery: my bayonet lug isn't as "neutered" as I thought it was. I can mount my AK bayonet on it. It is loose, but it will tighten up when I put a FS on the muzzle, and I think it's pretty cool. Chalk up one more "evil feature" that will be present on the finished product.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:24:38 PM EDT
Okay, I feel really dumb. It took me several tries, and a bunch of WD40, but once I was able to pop the top handguard just a little, it came right off. Now waiting on the US stock set. I may sand down and refinish the original set, as practice as well as to make it better for a resale. Has anyone dealt with Volunteer Ordnance Works before? They are taking forever to get my stock set to me. It may be a problem with Ironwood themselves, but you'd think they'd at least try to contact me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:08:01 AM EDT
I guess I should have paid the extra and ordered from Ironwood direct. I sent VOW an e-mail, and they haven't gotten back to me. I placed the order on the 10th and still haven't heard/seen anything. Still, $25 is $25. I hope they contact me soon. I really don't want to pay to have it shipped out to school.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:39:49 AM EDT
Still no reply from VOW, but I did get my Krinkov style US-made MB in today. I like the way it looks, I just can't believe how heavy it is! It may be 1 lb or so by itself. I need to check and see if the barrel is thick enough to thread; if not, I have the adapter piece already. I hope I can; I want this thing to look nice when I get done. I want to ask one more time: has anyone dealt with Volunteer Ordnance Works before, and how was your interaction. Right now, they have my money, and I don't have my order
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:25:07 PM EDT
I feel much better now. Dan at VOW replied; turns out he's moving shop and things got lost in the shuffle. He said he'll send it out in the next 48hrs. So hopefully next week I can have my AK in all its glory!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:28:46 PM EDT
I think I can't thread the muzzle like I want to. A standard diameter AK MB slips right over and even shifts a bit, so I have to use the adapter. Oh well. I sanded the old finish off the thumbhole and the handguards. I like the laminate wood. Too bad I need the US parts count. Oh well, I'm sure the Ironwood set will be great. I have many grits of sandpaper, some 0000 steel wool, and I will probably have some time to work on it when it gets in. I'm going to practice on the buttstock and handguards for the finish. I want a reddish type, but I will probably go the easy way and use a "Minwax" or something like it. That's why I'll experiment. Okay, here's a question for all: Where can I find Tung oil? Everyone says it's great stuff. Do I need to go someplace special, or will the local hardware store have it?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:19:28 PM EDT
Well, three coats of an oil based stain, and it looks pretty good. I put on a 1st coat of Tung oil, and it looks like it is lightening up the stain color, but it still looks good. I'll let it dry the full time and apply another coat, and another, and you get the idea. This is practice for when I get my real stock set in, but I'm liking what I see. Also installed the MB, no great feat since it's 4 set-screws. Anyway, still playing the waiting game.
Top Top