Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/16/2004 4:54:46 PM EST
I have a Tapco SAW grip that came in a trade. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means, but this thing has me puzzled...I'm not sure if I have an AK or FAL version. It came with a little block of aluminum, a 2" screw, washer, and the grip. The screw is insanely long and would touch the selector if I were to use it, so I'm guessing this is some bubba screw that the guy threw in? The little aluminum block seems to fit into a slot in the top of the grip, but again...it seems bubba...like the guy was trying to fit a FAL version to an AK?

Anyway, can someone confirm my sanity and post the accessories that come with an AK SAW grip from Tapco?

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:17:53 PM EST
I believe you have the AK version and the adaptor block goes inside the grip then the lock washer then the screw.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:25:02 PM EST
Should the screw be that long? I think I can see where the aluminum goes (inside the grip...kinda on top of the 'shelf'), but that doesn't do anything for the length of the screw.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:34:06 PM EST
Is the adaptor oriented like this:
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:28:43 PM EST
You have the correct one. I put mine on a few days ago. Tapco has direction on their site if you can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:10:04 PM EST
I believe these grips Tapco sells ARE FAL grips that they have modified for AK's. It took me a good 30 minutes to figure out how to install it since it came with no instructions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:25:53 AM EST
Thanks guys! That sure isnt' where I was putting the aluminum block. Yeah, I agree...I think this is a bastard child grip from Tapco, because the engineering just seems odd with the aluminum block and all.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:41:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By Redbone:
I believe these grips Tapco sells ARE FAL grips that they have modified for AK's. It took me a good 30 minutes to figure out how to install it since it came with no instructions.

Same here, I was about to give up before figured it out .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:20:50 AM EST
Actually, that is how the Hungarians attached the plastic grips to the 65's. At least that is how my kit came configured.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:02:03 AM EST
I've got the Tapco SAW grips on my AKs and I like 'em. However, after installation I did epoxy the aluminum adapter block in place to ensure it doesn't shift.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:20:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Tomac:
I've got the Tapco SAW grips on my AKs and I like 'em. However, after installation I did epoxy the aluminum adapter block in place to ensure it doesn't shift.
Tomac

And make sure to loc-tite that screw! If not it'll move after a few range sessions.
Top Top