Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 2:56:28 PM EDT
I ordered my Tapco G2 from TheDukeRyan at a VERY good price.

It went into my Vepr K 7.62x39 which came from Robinson with the following FCG:
Russian Molot Hammer (same painted finish as rest of rifle)
Robinson Trigger
First Sons Enterprises Disconnector (OMFG what a horrible design, TRIGGER SLAP)

The Tapco G2 installed very easily, but the only gripe I have is that the "sheath" for the trigger/disconnector seems rather thin and flimsy. It already has a few scratches on it just from installation. I'm supposed to keep it in the rifle permanently right?

The trigger pull is a very light pull. It's reminescent of my AR-15's stock single stage FCG except with a fraction of the pull weight. I did not measure it, but it's got to be in the 3-3.5 lb range, it's LIGHT. There's hardly any travel at all and I'm surprised when the hammer lets go during dry fire. The trigger is also VERY comfortable! It's curved and radiused just in the right way that it feels very comfortable and natural to use. The hammer is also a different design with a radiused striking surface. I can feel the hook sort of "grab" the hammer, it just needs to be broken in.

The Vepr's standard 2-stage is JUST like the Glock trigger with a 3.5# connector. It has a lot of travel and is quite vague. I'm not a fan of 2-stage triggers. The FSE disconnector was also made in such a way to allow the trigger slap to occur. Shame on whomever made this stupid disconnector! The trigger is also rather wide and flat, quite uncomfortable to use especially when it slaps back at you.

Now the bad part about the Tapco G2 is that the stock safety does not work properly. I have to trim it in order for it to function properly, but I'm contemplating just leaving it in "FIRE".

I hope this mini-review helps someone else find the right path with the G2. I contemplated buying the RSA adjustable, but the thought of allen screws, 2-stage trigger, and adjustability didn't sound reliable for a SHTF rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:04:14 PM EDT
did you use the clips supplied by thedukeryan? How did they work compared to the orginal retainer?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:08:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:08:14 PM EDT by metroplex]
What clips?

I received a small sealed plastic bag with the hammer, disconnector, trigger, and the trigger pin sleeve.
My Vepr currently uses the Shepherd's Hook retaining plate (instead of the hook) which came with the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:44:16 PM EDT
It may have been a limited time thing or something. Mine came with little sping clips taped on the package. I used one set on one mak, and the original wire thingy on the other. I did not see a difference in effort requited, but it was nice to have them since I destroyed one of my wire retainers a long time ago in a much less experiences state.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:51:47 PM EDT
Oh so you are referring to the Shepherd's Hook? I would recommend just getting the retainer plate. It makes life so much easier when servicing the FCG.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 4:52:56 PM EDT by thedukeryan]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:18:01 PM EDT
one things I like more about the Robinson/VEPR trigger itself is that is isn't as curved as the G2 trigger is, I like the feel of the straighter trigger better. I have heard reports of trigger slap with VEPR's, but I've never had it in the 2 I've had.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:50:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hartzpad:
one things I like more about the Robinson/VEPR trigger itself is that is isn't as curved as the G2 trigger is, I like the feel of the straighter trigger better. I have heard reports of trigger slap with VEPR's, but I've never had it in the 2 I've had.

If you try the G2, you will find that the curved trigger is radiused to allow a more natural and comfortable hold on the trigger. I put 1300+ rd thru my Vepr. The trigger slap started up near 1000 rd. It is because either the hammer spring or disconnector spring "Settled in" and allows the disconnector to push down more. I have the FSE disconnector which has the "wing" and additional seating material that the Linx site tells you to remove!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:04:03 AM EDT
Has anyone had the sleeve wear out? Is that part covered by the Tapco lifetime warranty?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:21:21 AM EDT
I have not heard of any one breaking one or wearing it out. I agree with you about the two stage triggers. I prefer a single stage my self. When I replaced the garbage trigger that cam in my WASR with a G2 it was like shooting a new rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:58:34 AM EDT
Did you have to modify the safety? Or did you leave it in "F"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:22:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:13:27 AM EDT
So basically after paying $80 for the RSA I'd end up with something similar to the $30 G2?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:45:32 AM EDT
I checked the trigger pull and something must be wrong:

At the toe of the trigger, it's less than 3 lb. I don't even get a steady reading before the hammer is released.
At the center of the trigger, it's roughly 3 lb.

Does this sound right?
Top Top