Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/28/2005 7:49:37 PM EDT
I installed one of these to counter the trigger slap problem in my WASR, I think I may have done something wrong, because the trigger comes loose and i have to use a punch and pound back in the round thing that holds it in there to tighten it back up. As well as it was sticking at the range. I tested it today and every once in a while it was doing 2 round bursts. I think the problem has to do with the hammer not going back far enough because when I dissassemble the bolt, I have to manually push down the hammer into place and then hold down the trigger to keep it there while reinstalling the bolt and bolt carrier in order for the hammer to stay down enough for it to slide.. Any clues on how to fix it. Could it be that I didn't change out the hammer when I put it in. All I changed was the trigger and the fcg, I didnt see a point in changing the hammer, because 1, it looked exactly the same as the one it was going to be switched with, and 2.. with all those springs it looked like a lot of unnecessary work because the trigger slap problem lies within the fcg and not the hammer. But have any of you heard of such a problem or know how to fix it? Of course I could always switch back to the factory trigger system, but I really dont want that trigger slap.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:52:26 PM EDT
Did you re-install the shepards hook?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:04 PM EDT
I dont know what that is, Ill be honest, I didnt actually install it, I had my gfs dad do it, because I thought he would know what he was doing, I sat there and watched him the whole time. I dont know a whole lot, I can assemble and reassemble the receiver cover, recoil spring, bolt and bolt carrier, but anything beyond that, I dont know how to do. He is a big time hunter though and a good one at that, and owns at least 30 fireams including an sks that he heavily modded by himself so its not like just some average joe that put it in. But even so, any information on what it could be would be greatly helpful, because ill pass it on to him when I tell him "hey you screwed up my gun, fix it!"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:59:49 PM EDT
But I thought the shephards hook was part of the hammer assembly, we didnt mess with the hammer at all.. Just the trigger and the fcg.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:04:42 PM EDT by JoeBud]
The shepards hook comes in different forms, but its job is to hold both the hammer pin and trigger pin in place. It fits into a groove in the pins and prevents them from moving. I would recommend installing the G2 hammer. It sounds like your current hammer is not mating well with the G2 disconnector. Just to let you know, the FCG refers to the hammer, trigger, and disconnector. Its the Fire Control Group.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:03:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeBud:
As stated, it sounds like you don't have the trigger pin retainer (shepards hook) in place. It fits into a groove in the pin and prevents if from moving. I would recommend installing the G2 hammer. It sounds like your current hammer is not mating well with the G2 disconnector. Did you reinstall the disconnector spring? Just to let you know, the FCG refers to the hammer, trigger, and disconnector.

The disconnector is the piece that causes the trigger slap in the romanians right, that "L" shaped pointed thing with a hole in it right,? ya we put that spring back in.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:13:01 PM EDT by JoeBud]
Man you're quick. I edited my post because you replied before I finished and now you quoted my original before I managed to edit it.
The G2 comes with a sleeve that holds the trigger and disconnector together before intalling in the rifle. Did he use it? Its a must.
Here's a picture showing the shepard hook. Again, they come in different forms, but you can see where it fits into the grove in the trigger pin. That's what prevents it from sliding out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:10:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeBud:
Man you're quick. I edited my post because you replied before I finished and now you quoted my original before I managed to edit it.

Ya I know sorry, I'm just desperate to get this prob worked out though. After I was shooting it at the range today and somehow converted it to burst fire, I quickly put it away to avoid damaging it and shot the sks and the 22 for the rest of the day. Dont get me wrong, I love the sks, but it becomes a bit cumbersome to reload after 10 rounds over and over.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:10:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:22:46 PM EDT by Apache659]
Go here and read grasshopper: www.ak47.net/content/guides/assembly/akFCG/ or here www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm and never let anyone who doesn't know what they're doing work on your rifle again ...

P.S. -

Oh yeah, G2's will sometimes hold the bolt carrier open, it's no big deal seems to work itself out, it's kind of a byproduct of the way they are made ...
This is only hard until you do it the first time ...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:16:51 PM EDT by dntama]
You can also use the Red Star retainer plate. It costs about $20 but it makes working on the FCG a lot easier and you dont have to worry about the retainer spring being installed correctly or working loose. Putting the Tapco FCG back in is not that hard. Using a pair of pliers helps a lot. I would also use the tapco hammer that came with the G2 kit as your disconnector may not be engaging the WASR hammer properly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:20:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2005 8:22:55 PM EDT by MillerTime85]
I wouldnt say he doesnt know what hes doing, he knows more than I do. And hes all I got to help me with guns. Im not going to pay a gunsmith like 100 dollars an hour to work on my 300 dollar ak. I trust him more than I trust me working on it, since he has been collecting firearms before I was born. I just bought and fired my first firearm only 9 months ago, and it was the ak. I gotta slow down though, because I already have 4 firearms in those 9 months. As far as the tapco g2 goes, I didnt give him any instructions or nothin, I just said can you put this in. With those detailed instructions that he sent and I printed out, he oughta be able to fix it up for me and get it goin right again and Ill try to watch and learn so I can do it myself next time. Thanks for the help and advice guys I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:23 PM EDT
you know, it'd still be a good idea to learn how to do it
Top Top