Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2005 5:18:37 PM EDT
Question - for the TanTal AK's - is there a flat available for the  5.45X39 caliber, or are the standard  7.62x39 flats able to be used for these ?  How about the other parts required...such as fire control parts, pistons, etc.......
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#1]
you can build off any compatible 74 receiver/flat, however you must use the 47/74 type selector.  if you want to use the tantal selector/safety,  you must relocate the selector hole and make several other modifications to the elector/safety levers.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Somewhere around here is a thread that someone might offer Tantal receivers. Not sure if that's a go or not...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Tantial kit and I have not really got to figuring the FCG out yet...  

At Gunco.net they set up a forum specific to Tantial builds and there is quite a bit of good info in there including one thread where a guy built a Tantial on a Tapco flat...

www.gunco.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225

For my own build I have ordered a Tantial receiver blank from Cold Steel but ithas not arived yet.  I am not sure if it was one of my smarter purchases however as this will be a bent blank with (Or I hope it is with or I really wasted my money) a template for the tantial receiver...  Note this will require all holes and dimples to be formed so for a guy with a flat bending jig like me this is much more work then a flat build...

See:  www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14231

My plan is to get the template and blank and look at the FCG parts...  If I can figure out a way to use the original Tantial safety arm and somehow attach the selector to the left side of the receiver then that is good enough to make my money spent almost acceptable...

From there, I plan to buy a 100% 1.0 Receiver from Global trades with no selector hole cut (See:  www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=250015).  This way I can apply my lessons from the Blank to the 100% receiver and finally build my Tantial and hopefully have the build look like a Tantial when it is done.  Well, that is the plan at this point as I am just finishing my AMD-65 and PMKM builds at this point and my next project is a cut-a-way build as I think I still need a little more practice getting my rivets to look factory like...  I am getting better but the rear trunon rivets are still getting a little of the better of me

If we build these with a standard AKM selector the Tapco FCG will work...  With my desire to use the Tantial selector, I have no idea how I am going to get the rest of the FCG to work yet.

If anybody else has a grand plan I am all ears for other suggestions...  

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
the FCG is not the problem.  a G2 will work fine regardless of what selector/safety you choose to use.

the problem is in the selector.  555th and I built his tantal on a 1.6mm receiver.  the 1.6 does not have dimples and lends itself good to relocating (welding up) the selector holes.  the 1.6 does bring with it other problems such as thinning the trunnions, especially the rear sidefolder assembly.

most 1mm receivers have a pressed dimple at the selector.  this causes major problems when trying to weld this hole up.  i ordered a 1mm arsenal receiver without the rear selector.  this will allow me to relocate the selector lever (safety lever on the tantal) to it's intended location.  now you have to decide how to install the shaft for the selector/safety lever.  i turned mine down to like 4mm.  i plan on sleeving and installing a pin in the left side selector.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'll just hold off on building my Tantal for a little while.  With you guys on the project, this should be figured out soon, you all are impressive when it comes to figuring this stuff out.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top