Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 12:37:46 PM EDT
Walked into my local gunshop and asked if he had any 7.62x39 ammo. He said "Let me look in the back." He came back with a dusty wooden case, we both weren't sure exactly what is was. I asked how much? and he said "Give me $500.00, no questions asked." We both chuckled! The owner cracked it open and there it was, Norinco 7.62 lead core. He asked "How much do you want?" I said ,"Make me a deal I can't refuse for the case." 5 minutes later I was headed for the car $250.00 poorer. I think I did alright with the current ammo shortage as bad as it is, brings me up to over 3k in 7.62x39.
http://2006_0317Image
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume in the wooden case there were two metal containers.  Did each container have about 700 or so rounds each?   More than one time have I heard someone say that the Norinco ammo was very accurate.  Good luck with your purchase.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually  in a wooden case, lined with a big plastic bag (no metal tins.) The ammo is in Norinco silver cardboard boxes (they looked perfect.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Enjoy your new stash.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on your find.  I found that the old Norinco ammo was loaded hotter than stuff like Wolf or Monarch.  It also burned much cleaner.  Question, is it steel core or lead core?  If it is steel core, you got one hell of a deal!

Sadly, I lost about 1,100 rounds of Norinco in Hurricane Rita.  I left the old crate at my grandparent's house to have an offsite storage (i.e. to keep me from shooting it all) and the floods of Rita took their toll on the copper washed steel.  Of that 1,100, about 700 were "rescued" but upon trying them out, they cause short stroking, if they even fire at all.  I guess the floods took their toll on the powder within.  I am still keeping the remaining rounds for plinking, but in no cases would I ever consider it for SHTF due to the fact that it doesn't always go "bang" every time and every 3 out of 30 rounds short stroke my MAK-90.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about your ammo loss. My Norinco is lead core, I wish it was steel core.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
In the late 80s or early 90s I purchased a few metal containers of the Chinese steel cored ammo.  I shot one container and saved the other for no particular reason.  I still have it stored in its lead sealed container.  I also purchased, at that time, a case or so of Norinco ammo.  I still have a number of green boxes of that.   I guess you can tell I am not a heavy shooter.  I shall hold on to these for purely sentimental reasons.    
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
i have some steel core norinco that i recently bought for $3.75 per 20 rounds.  i have about 320 rounds left.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got 3 thousand rounds of Wolf today from sportsmansguide.  79$ per thousand delivered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just got 3 thousand rounds of Wolf today from sportsmansguide.  79$ per thousand delivered.

How on earth? Its listed at $113, and thats the club price. The regular price is $120 before shipping.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The only thing I saw for 79 bucks was the 640rd tins.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That was the backordered ammo that wasn't supposed to be in until June 2006.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I just got 3 thousand rounds of Wolf today from sportsmansguide. 79$ per thousand delivered.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, but that was probably ordered last year!
I have two cases coming in from them hopefully soon at the $97 per case price with shipping. I ordered it in early Feb.
Last week I got one case in from Cabella's at their old $115 price including shipping.
I have four cases now plus hopefully the ones from SG coming soon. I think I'll leave it at that and see if prices come down later this year.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
a 1440 rd case sold for about $80 back in it's day.   Wolf sold for $70/K not more than 3-4 years ago.  Other than having bragging rights you wont gain any super natural powers by shooting it or anything, but it's still kick ass ammo.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yep!  I'll give you $80 per thousand...that includes delivery
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top