Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 4:48:10 PM EDT by jonnyghost]
Hello everyone! Just got my first WASR 10/63 today. Found a bunch of East German magazines hiding at the general store to go with it. First off, thank you everyone for the great information on this site. It help me a lot to make an informed decision on my purchase.

My new rifle has a little sight cant and mag wobble but nothing I'm really worried about. My biggest complaint it the safety. It's so stiff I have to bang it down with my palm to get it disengaged. It engages pretty well so I'm guessing that it's sticking in the detent. Will this loosen up with use or can I pry the lever away from the receiver a bit to make things smoother?

I also just noticed that if I dry fire it and keep the trigger held back while I charge the handle and then release the trigger there is a pretty good click. Is this normal? I can then pull the trigger and the gun dry fires as you would expect.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 5:24:47 PM EDT by M70B1]
That lever is nota safety, it is a selector switch.  Since you do not have a FA weapon, leave it in the down position and you won't have any problems.  BTW, it is normal for them tobe so stiff.  It will loosen up.  As far as the click, I don't know.  Holding the trigger while charging the rifle sounds a little irresponsible to me and not recommendable.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:01:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jonnyghost:
Hello everyone! Just got my first WASR 10/63 today. Found a bunch of East German magazines hiding at the general store to go with it. First off, thank you everyone for the great information on this site. It help me a lot to make an informed decision on my purchase.

My new rifle has a little sight cant and mag wobble but nothing I'm really worried about. My biggest complaint it the safety. It's so stiff I have to bang it down with my palm to get it disengaged. It engages pretty well so I'm guessing that it's sticking in the detent. Will this loosen up with use or can I pry the lever away from the receiver a bit to make things smoother?   Gently pull the selector away from the receiver.  The selector shouldn't have to be moved by force with your palm.  Go easy on the bending, a little at a time.

I also just noticed that if I dry fire it and keep the trigger held back while I charge the handle and then release the trigger there is a pretty good click. Is this normal? I can then pull the trigger and the gun dry fires as you would expect.  That's trigger reset, perfectly normal.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:37:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M70B1:
That lever is nota safety, it is a selector switch.  Since you do not have a FA weapon, leave it in the down position and you won't have any problems.  BTW, it is normal for them tobe so stiff.  It will loosen up.  As far as the click, I don't know.  Holding the trigger while charging the rifle sounds a little irresponsible to me and not recommendable.

It is a safety. Up is safe, down is fire.

Holding the trigger rearward while operating the carrier is a perfectly valid function check. You're making sure the disconnector works. It's normal for there to be a click as the hammer slides off the disconnector and is caught by the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 9:01:10 AM EDT by POLYTHENEPAM]
Before I bent the safety lever, I'd check and see if there is interference between the part of the safety that's in the receiver and the rear of the trigger.
In order to allow the safety to engage, I've had to file a very small amount off the top of the rear end of the right "leg" of the trigger on several builds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:02:34 AM EDT
That lever is nota safety, it is a selector switch.  Since you do not have a FA weapon, leave it in the down position and you won't have any problems.  

I'm glad you don't shoot anywhere near me.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:08:34 AM EDT
Couldn't see that it was fetching up inside but I'll check again. Seems like it's just getting stuck on it's little detent dimple over the top of the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:31:15 AM EDT
Once you're sure that there's no interference, bend carefully. A little is better than a lot. Too much and the lever won't stay put.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:08:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By POLYTHENEPAM:
That lever is nota safety, it is a selector switch.  Since you do not have a FA weapon, leave it in the down position and you won't have any problems.  

Me too, I hate the midwest.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:32:24 PM EDT
Congratulations and welcome to the dark side comrade!!

My new rifle has a little sight cant and mag wobble but nothing I'm really worried about. My biggest complaint it the safety. It's so stiff I have to bang it down with my palm to get it disengaged. It engages pretty well so I'm guessing that it's sticking in the detent. Will this loosen up with use or can I pry the lever away from the receiver a bit to make things smoother?

I also just noticed that if I dry fire it and keep the trigger held back while I charge the handle and then release the trigger there is a pretty good click. Is this normal? I can then pull the trigger and the gun dry fires as you would expect.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 2:46:55 PM EDT

Me too, I hate the midwest.

At least we know what a safety is.  Can't we all get along.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:47:30 PM EDT
I'm with ya, but I carry a 1911 daily.  I know what a safety is.  I was just pointing out that the safety on an AK is a selector switch, and that I hate the midwest.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:02:13 PM EDT
I'm with ya, but I carry a 1911 daily.  I know what a safety is.  I was just pointing out that the safety on an AK is a selector switch, and that I hate the midwest.

Yeah, it selects between 'safe' and 'fire'. Now stop telling people to leave their guns on 'fire' all the time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 6:22:01 PM EDT by Marksman14]

WTF are you talking about?

Use the safety as it was intended to be used.  If you're not on target, its on.

You can gently pry it a little at a time and get it to loosen up a bit, so long as its not binding on the trigger group internally.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:21:38 PM EDT

And us midwesterners hate morons who refuse to use a "safety".
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:42:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 1:44:29 AM EDT by jonnyghost]
Took a look last night and there is plenty of clearance where it blocks the trigger. If I lift the lever away from the receiver a bit there is no resistance to changing from safe to off safe.

I tried prying the lever away from the body a bit. Man is that thing rugged. Kept prying more and more until my fingers where bleeding. I don't dare pry any more because I'm afraid that when it goes it's just gonna go. What do you guys think of sanding the little button on the back of the lever a little bit at a time and the detentes a little. I like a crisp snap into place but I'd like to be able to use the gun without a hammer =)
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:03:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 3:19:38 AM EDT by POLYTHENEPAM]
Take the safety out of the rifle. You will notice the lever isn't straight. It bends to the left when viewed from the top.
Put the part that goes inside the receiver in a vice. Bend the lever to the right SLIGHTLY.
Reinstall the safety and try it. Repeat as necessary.
Don't bend the lever too far. If you do the safety will not stay in position.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:10:53 AM EDT

It was a selector switch when the rifle was capable of firing in full or semiautomatic modes. The rifle is no longer capable of that so there is nothing to select. It's no more of a selector switch than the small thumb operated lever on the left side of a 1911. In the midwest (and everywhere else in the world I've been) we call such devices safeties and we apply them when we don't intend to fire the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:24:59 AM EDT
This is a pretty funny thread.. only on the Internet could you find someone to argue about the purpose of the fire control selector on an AK

If that little plate between the mag catch and receiver is a 'selector stop', then the lever must be a selector, yes?

-L
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:53:04 AM EDT
I think it matters less what it's called and more what it does. Having a round chambered with the lever in the position that allows the gun to fire when your not on target is a bad idea
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:36:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Legendre:
If that little plate between the mag catch and receiver is a 'selector stop', then the lever must be a selector, yes?

Your logic is correct, but alas you've reached the wrong conclusion.  Since the lever is no longer a selector (as it doesn't select a mode of firing on a semiauto only rifle) the stop shall henceforth be known as the safety stop.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:40:44 AM EDT
Having a round chambered with the lever in the position that allows the gun to fire when your not on target is a bad idea

I agree. That's why I'm trying to help you make it operate correctly (and why I'm glad that someone whose ideas of proper firearms handling doesn't include the use of the safety doesn't shoot anywhere near me).

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:44:56 AM EDT
And that you for that POLYTHENEPAM! I can't believe that we're actually arguing about the use, or lack of, the safety
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:30:59 PM EDT
I'm just "paying forward" the help and guidance I received from the wise men who inhabited the BIY forum when I started building.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:16:28 PM EDT

I guess everyone has an AK now and each one has them figured out enough to give crap advise.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:46:49 PM EDT
I will attest that 'owning an AK' is by no means a prerequisite for giving crap advice on any number of subjects.

But gun safety rules are generally universal.. safety ON and finger OUT of the guard until you are prepared to take a shot. And muzzle awareness at ALL times.. ESPECIALLY when the gun is "unloaded".

-L
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:03:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By demusn1979:

I guess everyone has an AK now and each one has them figured out enough to give crap advise.

If experience with an AK is a prerequisite for giving advice about using a safety, I've got plenty. I bought my Chinese underfolder in 1988. I think experience with AKs should be a prerequisite for commenting on "crap advice". When did you buy your first AK?

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:13:15 AM EDT
Not directed at youy POLY,
That was for M70B1
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:06:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By demusn1979:
Not directed at youy POLY,
That was for M70B1

Obviously I misunderstood you.
As the old line by Gilda Radner went, "Nevermind".
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:41:11 AM EDT
wow obviously if you own an ak-47 all of the basic rules and common sense of firearm ownership do not apply just because its an ak.
basic firearm rule 1:always keep safety on until you are ready to fire the weapon.
ak rule:keep safety/selector in fire everyday all of the time
cleaning:
regular:clean after using with solvents designed for guns
ak:urine/mud/spam grease when the shtf and you have to fight off hordes of man-eating zombies
Top Top