Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:56:36 AM EDT
I have about 20 30 rounders and 1 of them has rust on the outside.  There no rust inside and the spring and all is fine just the one side but its about 3/4 that side.  Ive read some transmission fluid and some 0000 wool will work has anyone done this and if theres another way to get it off

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are not worried about the finish you could submerse it in some dollar store cola for about 4 hours.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
For ought steel wool and motor oil. Mag will be good as new.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it all depends on exactly what kind of rust you have. If it's like orange 'dust', you can take most any gun oil on a cloth and rub the whole mag, leaving it 'wet' for a few days, then wiping it off to see what you have. If it's heavier rust that will leave pitting, I would treat the mag with a rust remover containing phosphoric acid (commonly found at home centers/hardware stores) which will strip any bluing on it, remove the rust and leave a dusting of phosphate on the surface. This won't affect a painted mag except where bare steel is present. Then I would paint the mag with something like Dupli-Color Engine Enamel, low-gloss or semi-gloss black. Maybe you like the look of Parkerized AK mags, in which case you should use Alumahyde II 'Dark Parkerizing'. Flat black AK mags are good too, like the Hungarian 20-rounds. Grill and stove paint is usually flat black and you can heat-cure it after drying. You can also do that with the engine enamel at 250F or less. Take mag apart to treat and paint it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
K thanks all for the advice
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
WD40, and use them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, that's a blued mag with serious rust. Get a larger hand-held wire brush and knock off what you can. This one I would definitely use the acid on and paint flat black.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, lol. That's a lot of rust. If there are no perforations it will probably still work, but if the outside is in that condition, the spring and follower?
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
the inside is fine and the spring and follower are fine the other 20 or so mags and drum clips i have are all fine not sure why this one ended likes this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Whoa! Rusty Chinese goodness! I agree with using a wire wheel. Get the rust off and paint it. Would make a great beater mag since it isn't really a collectible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the inside is fine and the spring and follower are fine the other 20 or so mags and drum clips i have are all fine not sure why this one ended likes this.

It was not routinely wiped down with oil and was subject to humidity. Mags in storage need care, like guns.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#13]
That's gonna leave some serious pits. Sandblast and paint.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a 5 gallon bucket and pour in a big bottle of white vinegar.  It will take 24-36 hours for the vinegar to eat the rust.  No work on your end other than checking the magazine every few hours.  I would then boil water on the stove to try to clean off the vinegar, then let sit in paint thinner for 10+ minutes. Then dip in water quickly to get the paint thinner off the mag.  Dry with a heat gun or rag.  Wait about 2 minutes and a quick orange patina of rust will be created.  Use 0000 steel wool and steel brushes to knock all of the minor rust off.  Now spray paint, let dry, lightly oil with CLP and reassemble.

I've done this with AK and PSL mags, it's the best way I've found :)

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 4:26:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd sandblast that thing, parkerize it and gun kote  it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Wire wheel and hit it with Rustoleum. That's what I did.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#18]
How long did you have that mag in storage? Takes awhile to get that amount of rust
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have a battery charger, take mags appart and do this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA

Very little effort.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Reverse electrolysis or blast
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Do not store your mags (or pretty much anything that is steel) in ziplock bags without some preparation.   The leading cause of firearm rust is probably people sticking stuff in airtight (or poor circulation) cases safes or bags.  The moisture that was in the air when you sealed it is going to condensate and form rust when the sealed item cools down.  

Ziplock bags are great for storing small parts or groups of parts in to keep things organized, but you risk rust.  What I do with all the zillions of little metal parts I have in bags is to take some aerosol CLP and spray the item(s) in the bag before I seal it.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top