Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 4:19:44 PM EDT
Like most, I got my 10 mags from Sportman's guide.  The all have a slight amount of surface rust which seems to wipe away easily.  One of them has some pitting from rust.  Pretty much the same story as everyone else.

I'm wondering what is the best, easiest way to clean these things.  Is there some kind of solvent or whatnot to soak them in?  I pulled one apart and the inside of the mag appears to be in similiar condition to the outside so the inside will need cleaning also.  Soaking them would really be nice.

Any ideas would be great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
To clean metal, I wrap in a paper towel, and heat on a gas grill or in the oven, to soften and liquify any cosmoline. Then I take them out of the paper towel and blast with brake cleaner outside. This removes 95% of the crud.

I then take all of the partially cleaned metal, and wash in a correctly diluted solution of Zep purple degreaser that I get at Home Depot, srubbing with an old toothbrush.

Rinse the parts, and place on paper toweling in the oven on about 150 degrees.

10 minutes later, the parts are totally clean, grease-free and dry. Reassemble and lightly oil to prevent rust.

-David
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a plastic tub and some mineral spirits. Let`em soak in the mineral spirits overnight. Shake`em out next day and let`em dry a few days. Brush off any remaining rust spots. Take a look at`em and if you desire, refinish any or all according to you tastes. If your anal, take`em all apart before you soak`em. J R...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Like most, I got my 10 mags from Sportman's guide.  The all have a slight amount of surface rust which seems to wipe away easily.  One of them has some pitting from rust.  Pretty much the same story as everyone else.

I'm wondering what is the best, easiest way to clean these things.  Is there some kind of solvent or whatnot to soak them in?  I pulled one apart and the inside of the mag appears to be in similiar condition to the outside so the inside will need cleaning also.  Soaking them would really be nice.

Any ideas would be great.

You took the words right out of my mouth !!!
Thanks.....

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top