Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:39:44 PM EDT
My manuals are in russian
I know where the batteries go (I have the AA pack on there)
Wheres the on-off switch?
What warnings are there (for warning you against ruining the scope)
Whats currently installed on the front. It looks like a really dark black shade. Is it a cover or a shade? Is it okay for me to have the scope out in light while the cover/shade is on?
What are these 4 steel collars or rings for? They come in a black plastic tube. They have numbers on them
Where are the lamps on this thing located? My backup 4 in the plastic circle, one of the lamps is missing
What do some of these knobs do. I take it that theres a bit of adjustment as far as night vision goes. Both brightness and focus?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know too much but...

FIRST be really careful with the AA batteries.  I almost fried my scope withing 5 minutes.  Something on the pack was touching the metal frame.  The seller sounded like this was an issue a few times before.

You might damage it by not using the shade in bright light. "really dark black shade"  You need the in bright areas.

The collars are cams so you can set the scope up for different calibers.

Ask on the ak fourm, or ak files.  You'll get better answers for that particular system.  Lots of those guys have it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
This will answer all of your questions.  Buy the english manual or read the second link.  

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=115257

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=103631

The zombies glow at night with this scope.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#3]
First off, let me tell you that you've got yourself a pretty good NV device.  You won't find anything of that quality for anywhere near that amount of money.  Your scope was designed in the 70's and saw its first use by the Soviets while they were partying in Afghanistan during the 80's.  It's actually three image intensifying tubes that utilize a "cascade" effect.  If there's any available light at all your scope will work just fine.  The Soviets bagged their share of Mujahadeen with them.  As far as the English translation I got them free with my scope but I have seen the same version downloadable on the internet.  Just be prepared: when I say these manuals are technical it's an understatement.  Do yourself a favor, grab a cup of coffee while you're reading.  And the battery manual is useless unless you want to clean the battery terminals, fill them with the correct solution of electrolyte, and find something that can charge and discharge them correctly.  They're wet cell batteries and work exactly like a car battery.  Go with the AA battery harness version and use rechargable Ni-Cad or NiMH.

The on/off switch is the rotating knob on the side of it with all the Cyrillic writing above it (ЯРКОСТЬ СЕТКИ).  It's basically a gain switch, although I don't notice any intensification as I turn the gain up.  Also, if you turn it far enough it will activate the bulb and, hence, the aiming reticule.  Just keep rotating it until it turns on as well.  If it does not turn on then the bulb needs to be replaced which is easy to do.  Should come with a disc that contains replacement bulbs.  The one that's missing in your disc is probably the one in the scope.  

Warnings: don't use the damn thing when it's sunny outside.  You CAN use it to sight in but the Iris filter that you found on the end must be used.  Don't turn it on without it.  You'll burn the tubes up and your scope is dead.  The Iris works like a camera's: you rotate it one way or the other to let more or less light in.  It's a filter.  Look through it in the daytime and adjust it until you have a decent sight picture.  At night take the sucker off all together unless your looking into lit-up windows or something.  But yes, it's OK to have it out in light with said shade/Iris installed.  You must do this.

The steel collar rings are ballistic cams.  They're calibrated for different weapons that your scope can be mounted to: RPK; PK; SVD (Dragunov); AKM; and AK-74.  They're contained in that plastic container and they're calibrated for bullet path of particular rounds for particular weapons.  Use the AKM or AK-74 for whichever you're mounting it on.  You'll utilize this to sight your scope in.  There is a little metal tool that will adjust or unscrew pretty much anything on the scope.  You'll most likely find it in the carry back that came in the storage case.  

The scope doesn't have a focus or really a brightness.  The gain switch does it all.  The rest of the knobs do other things.  There's the ballistic cam I spoke of and another one toward the front.  Those do your windage/elevation.  There's the gain/on/off switch as well that I mentioned.  There's the lever in the back that you've alread found the opens the battery compartment.  You probably found a little case with three wet-cell batteries in there.  They probably have corrosion all over the terminals and I promise they won't work.  Just keep them in the case for collector value.  There should be two rubber eye caps.  One is normal and the other one has a feature that only opens when you press your eye into the scope.  That's so the enemy doesn't see the green glow reflecting off your face at night.  There is also a little vile of dissicator.  There's another one in your scope.  It's basically silica gel that takes moisture.  It will keep condensation/moisture out of your scope.  If you can see the crystals inside purple colored then it needs to be replaced by the other one.  You can reactivate the crystals by baking them for a few minutes on a low over temperature.  There is also another lens cover that's red.  That's an IR filter which you'll find no use for.  

All in all, the entire kit is pretty damn impressive and it is more than a Soviet collector curio.  It's a very functional scope.  I've heard quite a few stories of these things being used for ranch control at night and nighttime hunting and so forth.  Along with the obvious Russian accounts of zapping Mujahadeen creeping around their garrisons at night.  More than one Afghani has met his fate while being lined up in the crosshairs of an NSPU all the while thinking the cover of night would protect him.  They're the size of a bazooka but they damn sure work!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top