Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 5:34:45 PM EDT
I bought a new yugo today, I'm pretty new to sks'. Dad bought me a Norinco when I was a kid but took it when my mom divorced him. I want to convet it to take AK mags. How easy/hard is this, or is it even possible?

Name me some good aftermarket collapsible stocks with pistol grips for it that'll work with the conversion. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT
As far as I know, I don't think there is a "conversion" to allow you to use AK mags. You could use the Duckbill mags, but my personal experience says they don't work very reliably in most guns, and not at all in many.

I know you don't want to hear this, but consider that I have done what you are thinking; just leave it as is. It isn't an AK, it won't ever be. It will only get very heavy, not be reliable, and leave you with emty pockets, and feeling like you own a piece of shit.

The SKS is a wonderful design that is an excellent shooter. My SKS's are all back to original configuration; the way they should be. No heavy stocks, not duck bills, no scopes, just plain old shooters, that are fantastic rifles.

Good luck with your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:59:28 PM EDT
Keep it as it is. No need to spoil a good rifle.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Ben

+1 The duckbill mags are crap. Look around on the fourms here. Its just not worth it. I have owned a Yougo for 3 years now, and I have tried everything to make it high capasity. Stick with the ten round fixed mag.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:07:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Ben

Yep, what he said.

Enjoy your rifle!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:33:00 PM EDT
definely a good idea keeping as is...have fun
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:35:00 PM EDT
Keep yours like this and it will run like a champ forever. It will take a lot to convert it to take AK mags..not worth it.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:50:08 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll follow it, I'd read about the duckbill mags being crap. The majority of use this rifle gets will be for plinking and letting my wife shoot a rifle that won't break her shoulder like most of mine will. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:24:00 AM EDT
Cosmoline? Besides gasoline what's the best way to get it off? Also the grenade launcher parts. Is it possible to marking grenades or some other round to fire legally. Along with that, what about the charge rounds for them, Are they essentially blanks?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:54:26 AM EDT
Take all the metal parts off the wood and soak them in mineral sprits and the wood too. Works quiet well!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:00:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 9:02:16 AM EDT by P-245]

Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
Take all the metal parts off the wood and soak them in mineral sprits and the wood too. Works quiet well!

Try this website for cosmoline removal:

www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/cosmoline/index.asp
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top