Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2012 7:50:35 AM EDT

They may have blocked embedding... let me try again.  Here's the link just in case:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cem3IBVygeQ

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
not working?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
invisable guns! that's badass.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Where do I buy?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do I buy?

must be easy to import
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent program. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, those of you who do not speak Russian will find it less insightful.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah english subtitles or something woulda been pretty helpful, though I still thought it was pretty good. Looked like they showed an AEK without the BAR system, never seen that before. Those sabot-like pistol rounds looked pretty crazy too. Nice find FAC.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish we could import a 9X39mm rifle
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah english subtitles or something woulda been pretty helpful, though I still thought it was pretty good. Looked like they showed an AEK without the BAR system, never seen that before. Those sabot-like pistol rounds looked pretty crazy too. Nice find FAC.

The general message is that Russian military establishment (top ranking generals, in particular) are unaware of the domestic advancements in small arms technology. What is even more disturbing, according to the documentary, is that when the top brass are introduced to new firearms designs, they largely discount them in favor of good ol' AK, SVD, and PKM, despite the presence and wide availability of better alternatives and well-documented deficiencies of the standard-issue weapons. The top brass responds with two typical arguments - either the other designs (e.g., AEK or AN-94) do not provide sufficiently large improvement over the AK-74M or it is too costly to retool the factories and rearm the entire military. Typically, both arguments are made in a complimentary fashion.

Furthermore, the documentary asserts that the spec ops operators and ordinary grunts are either ignorant/unaware of superior domesitically-produced firearms designs or have a flawed and inflated view of the foreign designs (part of the documentary is devoted to showing that Russian-made handguns best Glock and Beretta, and Russian submachine guns best Uzis and the like). Finally, the authors of the documentary repeatedly warn the audience that Russian weapons industry will stagnate and fall behind its Western counterparts unless the military begins to adopt the newer, superior designs, many of which do not have a Western-produced comparable products.

The entire video has a bit of a nationalistic feel in the sense that it seeks to promote domestic military production, and promote pride in the superiority of Russian weapons designs and in the self-sufficiency of the Russian military industry.

Hope this helps some.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#9]
That makes sense with Putin stating numerous times that he wants to modernise the Russian military. Its not like they are short of cash with all that oil money!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The general message is that Russian military establishment (top ranking generals, in particular) are unaware of the domestic advancements in small arms technology. What is even more disturbing, according to the documentary, is that when the top brass are introduced to new firearms designs, they largely discount them in favor of good ol' AK, SVD, and PKM, despite the presence and wide availability of better alternatives and well-documented deficiencies of the standard-issue weapons. The top brass responds with two typical arguments - either the other designs (e.g., AEK or AN-94) do not provide sufficiently large improvement over the AK-74M or it is too costly to retool the factories and rearm the entire military. Typically, both arguments are made in a complimentary fashion.

Furthermore, the documentary asserts that the spec ops operators and ordinary grunts are either ignorant/unaware of superior domesitically-produced firearms designs or have a flawed and inflated view of the foreign designs (part of the documentary is devoted to showing that Russian-made handguns best Glock and Beretta, and Russian submachine guns best Uzis and the like). Finally, the authors of the documentary repeatedly warn the audience that Russian weapons industry will stagnate and fall behind its Western counterparts unless the military begins to adopt the newer, superior designs, many of which do not have a Western-produced comparable products.

The entire video has a bit of a nationalistic feel in the sense that it seeks to promote domestic military production, and promote pride in the superiority of Russian weapons designs and in the self-sufficiency of the Russian military industry.

Hope this helps some.

That helps tremendously, thanks alot! I kinda figured that when they were comparing the pistols and submachine guns that something like that was going on, but I wasn't aware of what type of documentary it was. I believe the AEK failed some trials back in the late 80's and I always wondered what exactly it failed. I always took the failed widespread implementation of the AN-94 as a pretty good sign that someone high up on the food chain didn't want to get rid of the Kalashnikov system of rifles, at least not yet, though maybe they were never meant to be and I'm mistaken. I'd say the acceptance of the Vintorez type rifles shows they're somewhat open to new designs and seems a step in the right direction for the most part, but they sure do seem to like their traditional platforms.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps some.

Spasiva comrade.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps some.

Spasiva comrade.

You are welcome! FYI, it is spasibo.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone recognize that curved 3 bladed shark style muzzle brake?  I don't think I've seen one like that for sale, it appeared to be a straight swap for a 74 style.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I want a Gsh18 so bad.  I wish we could import those pistols.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Dual Wielding at the 20:14 mark!

Silly Ruskies....
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice video.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#17]
just look at all the pics that have been posted on Russian AK's that have M4 style stocks on them...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Is that a PP90M1 around 25:44? One of the weirdest looking guns I've ever seen.  Looks like a squirt gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#19]
The Russians don't need to worry about "falling behind" - all they need to do is sit and wait for the United States to make the next big jump in small arms technology. Then, as soon as its proven in combat, the Russians will start allocating funding for their own technological breakthrough or just copy what we did (like the AK-74/5.45).

The United States Armed Forces are doing all the dirty work (i.e. field testing of small arms in major combat operations) - all the Russians need to do is watch and learn - just like they did in Vietnam.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey!! Get back to the field and make more u tube vids...
loving that U W AK BANDOLEER..me want...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Russians don't need to worry about "falling behind" - all they need to do is sit and wait for the United States to make the next big jump in small arms technology. Then, as soon as its proven in combat, the Russians will start allocating funding for their own technological breakthrough or just copy what we did (like the AK-74/5.45).

The United States Armed Forces are doing all the dirty work (i.e. field testing of small arms in major combat operations) - all the Russians need to do is watch and learn - just like they did in Vietnam.

The Russians do this with our weapons.  The Chinese copy everything else that we make.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians do this with our weapons.  The Chinese copy everything else that we make.

I don't know where you guys are getting this. Just because Russians adopted the 5.45 bullet after US introduced 5.56? Can you think of US-made version of AEK? AN-94? The underwater rifles and pistols? 9x39 and 9x54 calibers? AS-VAL? VSS? Stechkin? Is there some cross pollination in firearms designs from Russia, US, France, Germany, etc.? Of course there is. To claim that Russians are "copying" American small arms technology, however, is a different (and silly) matter.

Chinese.... well, that's a different story altogether.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know where you guys are getting this. Just because Russians adopted the 5.45 bullet after US introduced 5.56? Can you think of US-made version of AEK? AN-94? The underwater rifles and pistols? 9x39 and 9x54 calibers? AS-VAL? VSS? Stechkin? Is there some cross pollination in firearms designs from Russia, US, France, Germany, etc.? Of course there is. To claim that Russians are "copying" American small arms technology, however, is a different (and silly) matter.

Chinese.... well, that's a different story altogether.

I would say in the realm of small arms development, the Russians have been leaders vs. followers.  The Russians had the 7.62x39 long before we had our 5.56, the point being the Russians were on-board with the intermediate caliber before the U.S. was.  They also had the RPD long before we had the M249.  They also dumped the RPD and went with the RPK long before the Marines realized a belt fed 5.56mm LMG wasn't all that light and adopted the IAR M27 which is based on the M16... much like the RPK is a LMG based on the AK.  There's a lot of cross pollination between cultures in the world of small arms.  While the AEK is somewhat unique, Eugene Stoner had a reduced recoil rifle design called the Future Assault Rifle Concept (FARC-3) that came about long before the AEK.  

With all of that said, I agree with your statement that the Russians are by no means followers in the world of small arms design.  If anything, they've been innovators.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top