Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/15/2003 4:11:20 AM EDT
I think this is my 1st time posting on this side of the site.  Try not to flame me too much

I've been contemplating replacing the AK I sold years ago (like a dumbass) with some type of AK.  I've contemplated building my dream AK to buying something cheap like an SAR.  SARs run around $350-ish in my area.  I've seen them online any many places right around $300 but for the price of shipping and transfer fee i'd be better off buying local.  Anyway, I ran across a deal with a fellow at work who has a Norinco MAK90 he's selling for $400, and upon talking to him he immediately dropped the price to $375.  I figure that's not too bad a price considering I won't have to pay sales tax or transfer fee.  It doesn't come with any extras other than the sling, 5rd and (he thinks) 30 rd mag.  I'm also pretty sure it's a stamped receiver.  It's used but i'd rate it's condition at 98% or so.  I was amazed at the trigger.  It's really smooth and pretty light, no grittiness at all.

Long winded, yes I know but what's the general opinion of the MAKs?  To me they sure look a helluva lot better than the Romanian SARs, except for the ugly butthole stock.

I did a search and found only 6-7 topics even pertaining to MAKs.  Are they not very popular for some reason?  Are they as good as "any other AK"?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The lack of topics is probably due to the influx of Romanian rifles, US manufactured rifles and parts kits.

MAK's are "as good as any other AK", it just depends what you want. The Chinese AK's have thicker stamped receivers then the Euro/Soviet style--you'll notice the different rivet pattern.

The biggest downside to the MAK90 is to install a pre-ban style stock set you'll have to add the appropriate US parts for compliance. (also consider that alot of folks have problems with the fcg in Romanian rifles and either modify or replace them)

If the integral cleaning rod is an issue, the MAK's are stripped of the nec. attachments.

On the plus side, most of these rifles are very well made! (rarely an issue with canted sights/gasblocks common to some Romanian and Egyptian models)

They're great shooters and as I'm sure you've probably seen in another post here, can be transformed from the ugly duckling thumbhole rifle to an attractive, comfortable weapon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]

The biggest downside to the MAK90 is to install a pre-ban style stock set you'll have to add the appropriate US parts for compliance.

If I go with a set of U.S. made furniture such as Ironwood I'll be good to go, correct?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll need 5 US parts. The stock set counts as 3. The other two could be from this list:
hammer
trigger
disconnecter
mag follower
mag floorplate
gas piston

Say for instance you chose the Ironwood stock set and an RSA fcg you would have 6 total US parts allowing for the use of a foriegn made muzzle brake if desired.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my MAK-90.  It is not as accurate as my other AKs, but it is still a nice "plinker". I wil still shoot MOCP (minute of clay pigeon) at 100 yards.

I put a K-Var polymer stock set on it, and added an RSA trigger group for 6 U.S. parts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I put a K-Var polymer stock set on it, and added an RSA trigger group for 6 U.S. parts.

If I bought another MAK90, that is what I would do with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got 2 Stamped Receiver MAK-90s and like them much better than my SARs.  The MAK feels more robust.

The down side is that you have to add the US stock set and trigger group, which costs a little more $$.  But I would take a MAK over a SAR any day of the week.  Just my .02

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a polytech MAK90 and I love it, the trigger pull is great and I have had absolutely no problems with it.  I have considered pistol gripping it, but I am so pleased with the trigger that I don't want to change it out.  I am going to get one of the thumbholes with more material left on it, and shape it myself and refinish it.  Hope this helps
Brad
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I've worked on several MAK-90's for friends of mine. ( new stock sets, new FCG's, etc )

Some of the early stamped MAK-90's had the rear of the reciever cut to facilitate the thumbhole stock ( like the milled MAK-90's were ) I'd make sure the one you are looking at is not a early model. This is easily done by removing the tang screw and the thumbhole pistol grip screw and pulling the stock off. ( provided your co-worker will let you do this )
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've worked on several MAK-90's for friends of mine. ( new stock sets, new FCG's, etc )

Some of the early stamped MAK-90's had the rear of the reciever cut to facilitate the thumbhole stock ( like the milled MAK-90's were ) I'd make sure the one you are looking at is not a early model. This is easily done by removing the tang screw and the thumbhole pistol grip screw and pulling the stock off. ( provided your co-worker will let you do this )

Excellent point! (don't know how that slipped my mind)

In the event of the slant cut rec., Ironwood should still offer a buttstock made to fit or the FSE fake folder from www.rpbusa.net can be had in a model made specifically for the slant cut MAKs. A friend of mine has the FSE unit on his MAK and it looks great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got my second MAK90 and I love it. Going to convert this one to pistol grip and U.S. parts.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]
If any of you guys are interested in a trigger group for a mak (US made) drop me a line i have one for sale.  It's brand new.  [email protected]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a milled MAK. They are nicer than the SARs out of the box. I got rid of mine because it had the angle cut reciever. I would say $375 is an OK price. $350 would be a better price. I would pass at $375 if it is angle cut. Remeber you can get a Romanian for $300 and correct the apearance yourself for under $50 and not deal with the thumbhole stock. CB
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the help so far fellas.

It is not an angle cut receiver.  But just like PolyTechKid stated, as much as I want a pistol grip and stock on it I'd hate to swap out the trigger group because it feels damn nice as is.  From what I have read so far the RSA trigger group is no slouch.  I'll probably keep it as is for a while, or at least till I properly function test it at Bulletfest
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent point! (don't know how that slipped my mind)

In the event of the slant cut rec., Ironwood should still offer a buttstock made to fit or the FSE fake folder from www.rpbusa.net can be had in a model made specifically for the slant cut MAKs. A friend of mine has the FSE unit on his MAK and it looks great.

WildW.,
I've been looking on the rpbusa.com site and see they their Model AKCPRC has the following for the MAC-90 (Yes, I do realize there's the Mak-90C1 and the Mak-90C2 with slant cut receiver):

Krinkov Stock, black pistol  grip, black handguards & Picatinny rail system that allows for vertical pistol grip - cost $125
AK22 front vertical pistol grip with picatinny rail - $25
RPB1017 AK-74 style muzzle brake:  $14.95
Looks like for about $165 you get the whole deal.
ADD RSA FCG for another $60 and the total comes out to about $225

------------------------------------------------
Anyone use the above rpbusa.com package on their MAK-90's ??
Anyone have any thoughts ??

------------------------------------------------

Is there a similar package for the SAR-2 ??
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#15]
5subslr5, the kit for the SAR2 is just above the Chinese sets. (part # AKEPRC, same price)

I have no experience with their handguards, don't know if they have the heatshield...

For a MAK90, it would probably be easier to use a the 74 brake that pins to the fsb rather than thread the bbl.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:05:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
5subslr5, the kit for the SAR2 is just above the Chinese sets. (part # AKEPRC, same price)

I have no experience with their handguards, don't know if they have the heatshield...

For a MAK90, it would probably be easier to use a the 74 brake that pins to the fsb rather than thread the bbl.

Thanks WW - I've got to admit I really like the LOOKS of this kit.  (And I'm not likely to be firing rapidly unless I'm scared out of my mind and if that's the case likely I won't feel the heat !)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks WW - I've got to admit I really like the LOOKS of this kit.  (And I'm not likely to be firing rapidly unless I'm scared out of my mind and if that's the case I won't feel the heat !)

Well, despite my best intentions of ordering from K-Var, I've ordered the "AKEPRC" package, the "AK22" vertical grip (on B/O but they will ship N/C when it comes in), and the "AKUPRP" recoil pad from rpbusa to put on my SAR-2.

We shall see.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top