Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Posted: 10/7/2004 4:50:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 4:59:22 PM EST by chicomak]
So about 5 years ago I started collecting poly's i got 3 mint prebans that everyone of them I paid $1100 to $1300 for. If the value starts dropping i'll be pissed off, but I'm deffinetly not going to get hard up and sell them for less than what I paid. I rather hold on to them.

So has anyone heard of ship loads of preban polys just waiting to hit the US shores or what?
Is poly even still making AK's ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:32:44 PM EST
they are not approved for import, so I really think that you have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:22:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 9:04:45 AM EST by I-M-A-WMD]
Tagged for future comment.

So how do you think the end of the weapons ban will affect the value of my preban polytechs?

I can understand your concern as I too "bought high". I picked up a Pre-89 early Siles NY import Norinco 56S LNIB for around $1100. (I did some serious trading on it so I'm in it a bit steeper than the $1,000 cash price that was on it) I picked it up 2 months before the 1994 AWB expired knowing full well the 94 ban would be gone, however there is still that damn 89 import ban.

So with the 1994 AWB gone, domestic rifles can have all the evil features such as the Chicomm one I picked up. Obviously there are folks manufacturing the domestic rifles with all the goodies so the supply is there to meet and perhaps water down the demand. Does that mean that if I were to sell my pre-89 import it would be logical for me to let it go at the same rate as currently manufactured domestic rifles? The easy answer is no. The more accurate answer is that it should sell close to currently available domestic offerings but at a premium.

Remember, some states still have their own versions of AWBs which means if they want a cosmetically correct version of any particular weapon, it will need to be manufactured before the date of their ban. (AFAIK, NY is a good example and the ban was during or after 1994)

Also, it's important to note that current offerings from Arsenal Inc, for their domestically "reproduced" AKs are running around the 1K mark. They're newly manufactured and limited in #. The preban imported AKs may not be newly manufactured, but they have desirable characteristics and they're numbers can also be limited depending on configuration etc.

So I would think that the price may slump a bit, but will begin climbing again. There is no reason to let your AK go for less than you feel it's worth and also, I enjoy owning a "correct imported example" over a domestically produced weapon. (Not that I won't get some domestic AKs, it's just that they can come after the "real deal" additions to my colleciton.)

Sly
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:39:56 AM EST
Prices seem to be comming down a bit, Although the Clinton gun ban had nothing to do with Import AKs like the Poly Tech's it did help artifically raise the price of all SO called Pre-Ban guns, Now that the ban is gone prices are Comming down, If you search the EE you will see a couple of Polys that recently sold in the $7 & $8 hundred dollar range(There was even a Yugo Folder that went for around $800)
There is not much difference between a pre-ban AK like the Poly & a post ban like the MAC 90 anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:06:15 AM EST
BTT as I edited my post above.

Sly
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Top Top