Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 1:40:24 AM EDT
Is there something wrong with Romanian guns? Just curious, since "the best" receivers are Hungarian FEG, Russian Saiga and the new Bulgarian stamped. Right?

We all know that Romanian guns are rough and the quality control is shoddy. But does that have anything to do with the receiver? Century's markings are usually ugly, but those can be made to look good by an engraver I suspect.

How is an FEG or Bulgarian "better" than say an SAR-2 receiver? Aren't they all Warsaw Pact mil-spec? Aren't they all heat-treated?

Aren't they all basically sheet metal?

Please help set the record straight, because since seeing the pictures of the new Arsenal Bulgarian AK-74's, I have been wondering just what exactly the big deal is. Would one of those rifles "feel" any different fron any other AK? Would it function differently? Would it last longer or be more accurate?

Just felt like questioning the conventional wisdom here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
There is nothing wrong with the Romanian receiver.

The Bulgarian recievers are top of the line.

The only difference is fit and finish.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
....and century arms' hand engraving...
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
there is not a darn thing wrong with the romanian sar receivers. they are as good as any russian or hungarian or bulgarian receiver ever made.

it's just a piece of bent-up sheet steel...not some holy grail.

the wasr receivers lack the mag well dimples. the authenticity is less because of that...for those that really give a damn. again, a wasr (legally) converted to full auto would run as long as the 'finest' russian ak ever to leave izhevsk.

there is no alchemy or black forest elves building ak's with sprinkles of pixie dust. they are merely lifeless pieces of steel held together by flimsy rivets. an ohio rapid fire or inrange build is probably BETTER than ivan's...and the guarantee IS better.

This is how I justify the high price I'm about to pay to have Chris @ AK USA build my 74.  Way more than I would like to spend but after it's complete I should have one of the nicest 74's there is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there something wrong with Romanian guns? Just curious, since "the best" receivers are Hungarian FEG, Russian Saiga and the new Bulgarian stamped. Right?

We all know that Romanian guns are rough and the quality control is shoddy. But does that have anything to do with the receiver? Century's markings are usually ugly, but those can be made to look good by an engraver I suspect.

How is an FEG or Bulgarian "better" than say an SAR-2 receiver? Aren't they all Warsaw Pact mil-spec? Aren't they all heat-treated?

Aren't they all basically sheet metal?

Please help set the record straight, because since seeing the pictures of the new Arsenal Bulgarian AK-74's, I have been wondering just what exactly the big deal is. Would one of those rifles "feel" any different fron any other AK? Would it function differently? Would it last longer or be more accurate?

Just felt like questioning the conventional wisdom here.

If you just want a 5.45 AK, then the Romanians are fine.  If you are wanting a AK-74 as close to possible as the original Izhmash product then the Romanian 5.45 rifle is not a good a host as would be a Bulgarian.  Reason being that Bulgarian Arsenal was set up by Izhmash to make the AK-74, while the Romanian 5.45 is a home brewed morph.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#6]
and while Campy is busy beating down the purist attitude,  the Romy receivers all have a scope rail, which if removed leave a huge domed 'pimple' onthe reiver which is a bear to deal with (that is if you don't want the rail for your 'purist' look). The rear trunion rivet pattern is the old AKM style too, another purist faux puax for using it as a late style donor.  Btw, I would not call the rivets that hold this holy grail pixie dust laced, elfen produced sheet steel channel flimsy.... they do their job quite well, and are the right fastener for this particular application.  

I think the only thing wrong with the Romy guns in general is that they always had to make things a little different in Romania - dimensionally speaking... whether this was done for purposefull incompatibility, or engineering/manufacturing cost saving or just 'cause they're idiots and can't follow the mother country's instruction booklet, who knows?

Bottom line, they go bang real good, and will for many years in your service.  You simply have to clarify what you deam as "best receiver".... functionality, durability, compatibility, or collector desireablity.

-C
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
All I own are Romanian AKs.  I hope to add a few more!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
So a real romainian AIM-47 or AIM-74 doesn't have a scope rail on the side of it?

Scott
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So a real romainian AIM-47 or AIM-74 doesn't have a scope rail on the side of it?

Scott

Some do and some do not. It would be correct both ways.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If you were looking to build a AIM-74 then obviously the Romanian 5.45 imports would be the the platform to build on.  For more info on the AIM-74 go here:

avtomats-in-action.com/pro19.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with Romys brother. I have several Romys, a Bulgy, a Hungarian, & a Norinco. They all go BOOM when i want them to. The message here is, I have several Romys & 1 each of the others.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing bad on a Romanian rifle is the front sight tower.  Most of the ones I've seen look like they were  cast using some type of pre-industrial age sand casting technique by a first day blacksmith's apprentice.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Just the paint, sorry guys.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#15]
ha ha  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#16]
That was some serious laughter I just endured!!!  
thanks for the wake up call Campy! Now I know what it'a like to be Duthorn!!!
For the others of you out there, it is quite an honor to have your post broken down line by line and translated for all to see in laymans terms!!!
Campy can translate from Asshole to english, from obnoxious jerk to English, 3rd grader AK forum owner to English,  and now even elitist AK talk to English!!!!  I speak all those languages! hehehehe
Anyways Campy, that was indeed some good writing... sorry I am so 'bloc specific' as my associates call me!

-C

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#17]
That was funny campy, but remember: if just the appearance were unimportant, the phrase campyclone would not be in our vocabulary...

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Beautifully said Campy..  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#19]
tagged
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...just 'cause they're idiots and can't follow the mother country's instruction booklet, who knows?

yup....15 yards! deliberate elitism penalty on the defense! repeat third down!

One word.....

Burn!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#23]
<------------- Sounded so good I put it above my avatar!!!

Quoted:
"authentic to the romanian pattern"

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I sold my Romy WASR to "trade up" to an underfolder Vector, but time will tell if I made a smart move.
I really like my Romy...rough around the edges but reliable and great fun to shoot.  It's nice to run a couple of hundred rounds of Wolf through it when stressed out and only spend about $20.  Cheap rifle, cheap ammo...clean it at the end of the day if you feel like it, or don't...who cares.
AK sights really suck, so the scope rail on the receiver is a nice feature.  If I would have kept the rifle I probably would  have put some kind of optics on it.  I think the Romy mound would probably be more stable than those receiver cover mounds you can get, maybe better than the gas tube mounts too.  And it's free on the Romy...Vector charges extra for that!!      
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, guys...it's spelled "MOUNT", not mound...I haven't had yet coffee today
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
"authentic to the romanian pattern"

egads!!! i've created a new branch of purists!!!

the romyheads! heheh!

Romyheads Rock!!!!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top