Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:01:48 PM EDT
I really need to stop going to the fun shop. Anyway, today I only had a few classes, and it was Payday, so I thought I'd check it out and see. What to I find but the following:

Norinco made and stamped MAK-90 (with butthole)
1st two of serial is 94, so I assume a 1994 import date
Importer: C&A VA Beach, VA
No threads or bayonet lug/cleaning rod retainer
Bolt and Carrier in the White, a little discoloration, but not much use
Beautiful bore
HG is a little loose, but still very nice--no dings, etc.
A little bit of handling marks, but that's about it; Overall, I'd rate it 90-95%
I figured it was a slant cut, but lo and behold, when the butthole came off, it's a straight cut receiver

Price OTD: $273.07

Let me know how you think I made out
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll give you two thumbs up for that price!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You Done Good!  Does yours say "Mak90 Sporter", if so even better?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, says it right above the Caliber marking on the left side under the front trunion. Does anyone know what kind of wood the Chinese used? I think it would be awesome if Ironwood or someone else could get some blanks and make up stock sets in the blonde. I've also considered getting a Maple Ironwood set and trying my hand at matching the blondish/orangish stain.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You did really well!  

[begin long boring story] A dealer at the gunshow that I went to last weekend had a MAK-90, sporting Chinese wood, and what appeared to be the original Chinese trigger (couldn't see any more because he had a zip tie going through the action).  I still don't know how he got around 922(r) with that thing because it was in original (i.e. pistol grip) configuration with the drop down stock, blonde wood, and all; was definitely a MAK-90 (had MAK-90 sporter stamped on the side); and the jerk was trying to pawn it off as pre-ban and had a price tag of $750 on it.  I questioned him as to the origin of the gun, and how a MAK-90 with the first two digits in the serial being 93 could be considered pre-ban since that particular configuration was banned in 1989. He had the nerve to tell me that I did not know what I was talking about and it was pre-ban because it was mfg before 1994.  I feel sorry for whoever buys it at that price and gets hammered by the BATF for a non-compliant imported gun. [/end long boring story]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If it says "Mak90 Sporter", it's probably an actual Polytech manufacture run from "386" plant!  Polytech & Norinco are just the Exporters for the Chinese. It was actually made earlier than 1989 and really is a Preban weapon from the stand point of Quality & Craftmanship.  As for the BATF is concerned it is a Postban item.

I would hold on to to it.  I have several "Sporters".  You get what you pay for.  Physical compare it to a Polytech Preban AK.  The Quality is the same if not better.

Mines shoot like there is no tomorrow!
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top