Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/12/2006 5:37:27 AM EDT
I am looking into building a kit or two and know nothing about them. I looked through some of the tutorials and saw where some people use screws, some use rivots and some use other methods. I was wondering what the best method is for someone who doesn't own or want to own tons of tools and whatnot to put some together? I am limited in funds and space but really want to take advantage of some of the kit prices. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:06:26 AM EDT
Being in college I was/am in the same position. For less than $100 I was able to buy a set of punches, BFH, bolt cutters for rivet squisher, pulley puller and some drill bits. I considered doing a screw build for my first one but figured might as well do it right the first time. With what it would cost for taps you could buy and make a rivet tool. Don't need a press for the barrel, sure helps as I have heard but I'm going to do it with a hammer. Just make sure to use a buffer between the hammer and bbl (stack of pennies).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:17:32 AM EDT
If you have your mind set that you only want to build one or two builds then i dont think the investment in tools would be good for you, not only is it an investment in tools but time as well. It take hours apon hours of reading on this site and others just to get enough information to where you'd be comfortable for your first build. Then you need the tools, a work bench, the kits, and the time to actually do the build. If you're like me and like to build things then go for it, although with the rising costs of kits these days and finding the right compliance parts its becomming very expensive. Sometimes its better to just go out and buy a complete gun, thats what i'm going to do with the yugo underfolder. Find a local dealer that charges 15-25 bucks to do a transfer, pick up a shotgun news and a gun list magazine and find the gun you want and do it that way, so you dont have to pay the big mark up of a gun shop. For instance the Yugo underfolder, the kit costs around 125 bucks for anything half way decent even more up towards 200, a correct reveiver for it is in the 50-90 dollar range, compliance parts are another 50-75 bucks, then you have to build it! The you have to finish it. You can go out and buy the same rifle with a brand new barrel and accessories for 400 bucks + shipping and trasnfer fees, say 450 out the door. Yes rommy kits a 100 bucks, but you'll need tools to build it at say another 100 bucks then you need a receiver at 50 and compliance parts at 50 or you can go out and buy one for 300 that comes with a warrenty, to me its a no brainer. Myself i already had all the tools for building except for bolt cutters that cost me 15 bucks and just time to modify. Its not worth it if you're just gonna do one or two and you dont have the tools, money or time because ur in college. Just my two cents. McM
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:01:24 PM EDT
Motocityman is right on with his overview of building. Just to give a you an idea on build costs from a diffrent angle I thought I would kick in my dimes worth too. I got started on all of this AK stuff just looking for something a little diffrent to do for fun. I do a lot of competitive shooting and spend way more money on my competition rifles than any of the AKs on the market cost. My first AK was a Russian Type III kit I had mostly built for me. Cost a lot for an AK but its cool and I really love blasting away with it. As I read more on the list I decided that it would be fun to go ahead and actually build one myself. These darn things are really addictive. I did spot myself a prebent reciever but did all the rest. The kit was a Romy G matching from DPH. In order to make it fun I built my own tools. I have all of the big dollar stuff like a 50 ton press and a full metal working shop already due to how I earn my living so I had no costs there. What I spent to get a functional Ak even with all of the items on hand listed above was still almost $300. And I have invested quite a few, very fun filled hours, reading and fussing around with the build. So, if you are building just to get a cheap AK I agree with motorciyman that just saving up and picking up a ready made rifle is a good way to go. Oh yes, I went with rivets and am glad I did. Goose
Top Top