Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 5:04:45 PM EDT

Well?

I have a theory, but I would be interested in hearing an explaination.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It is slanted to vent the gasses up and to the right, which is the direction a right handed persons aim would be shifted while firing full auto from the shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, that is close to what I was guessing.

I am a lefty and I am thinking of slotting the brake to turn it the other direction.

Sounds like that would be a waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I am a lefty and I am thinking of slotting the brake to turn it the other direction.

Why?
Sounds like it would work to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
May be wrong but I thought it was turned to the right to compensate for the charging handle and round ejection or something like that
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A lot of slant brakes have multiple slots to accomodate both Left and right hand firing.  On my pre-89 Chi-comms when you set the brake for left handed shooting it's venting directly to the left.  Even in semi auto mode I can feel the rifle being pushed into my support hand.

To clarify, in right hand setting the brake is slanted up and in a fashion to vent slightly to the right.  In left hand setting the port's "open" end is positioned to vent directly to the left. I.E. 90 degrees from the bore. HTH...

Sly
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like it'd have an awful affect on accuracy, defeating the careful crown at the end of the barrel. (The crown is cut to ensure that the gas pressure is as close to identical as possible at all 360 deg. around the bullet as it leaves the muzzle, but the slant break defeats that concept by brute-forcing mass quantities of gas to one side of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot my PMKMS with and without the slant comp, and neither POI nor groups were affected by it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Seems like it'd have an awful affect on accuracy, defeating the careful crown at the end of the barrel. (The crown is cut to ensure that the gas pressure is as close to identical as possible at all 360 deg. around the bullet as it leaves the muzzle, but the slant break defeats that concept by brute-forcing mass quantities of gas to one side of the bullet as it leaves the muzzle.)

I think he was talking about modifying the brake, not the barrel.  You're saying a slant brake kills accuracy?  I don't know if anyone would buy that one...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#10]
the crown is not affected by the brake or possible lack thereof.  the crown does it's job as the bullet is exiting the barrel so gases can begin to escape evenly all the way around.  the brake doesn't affect the gases until the bullet is essentially out and on it's way.  all that extra gas is directed upwards and somwhat to the right.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top