Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 8:02:54 AM EDT
Does anyone make an AK single-point sling mount that attaches to the port-side optics rail common on AK variants? It strikes me that if the rail is solid enough to keep a scope/red-dot zeroed through heavy use, it’s probably robust enough for a sling mount (but I could be mistaken).

Any thoughts on this idea or leads on an existing product? I've searched around, but can't find anything.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that I know of but it sounds like a good idea in theory. That side plate would definitely be strong enough to run a sling point since it's actually riveted to the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting idea - mind if I run with it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
That does sound like a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
That'd be a great use for those wibbly-wobbly UTG siderail mounts the chicoms push for around 20 bucks each. Get the hacksaw and the bench grinder and remove the rail part and just drill and countersink a hole for a QD sling swivel.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not a fan of single point slings but the idea seems to have merit. Not just slings but other things as well.

If the sling attachment point was at the very rear of the rail, it could still be used in a two point configuration.  You can see how close the rear of the rail is to the original rear sling attachment point on the receiver of my Yugo M70 (I'm using a M76 butt stock with the sling swivel on the butt):

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting idea - mind if I run with it?

Go for it! Let us know how it turns out and what your process for creating is. I lack the tools to make one, but was sort of thinking - based on other comments - that you could cut down a cheap rail mount and then weld on a small ring, clip or slot (or maybe a short length of Picatinny rail). Grind it all smooth and blue or paint. It would be fairly low profile and easy on/off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I did a short review on the new single-point sling mounts here  made by Joe at Echo 93.

In short, I like them pretty well.

HTH
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top