Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:15:36 PM EDT
I have a Norinco MAK-90 that came with a Dragunov-style stock.  It looks like this (I stole the pic from another thread, but mine looks exactly the same):

The stock does not feel at all cheap.  In fact, I sort of like the feel of it, but I like the authentic wood more.  And the trigger is about as good as I've seen on an AK, but I don't see any reasonable way to comply with the ATF regs other than replacing at least some of the fire control parts with US parts.  

So whadday'all think?  Should I keep it the way it is, or spend a couple hundred bucks on some Ironwood wood and an RSA trigger group and make it look like this:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas piston, flash surpressor, floor plate, follower, hand gaurd and pistol grip. That's what I did. Now I know some will not approve but this is what I did to mine. Face it the MAK90 never will be a large collectors hit and it will always be a shooter. So why not?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Of course you should.  But you can get by with less expense by using a G2 FCG, US mag followers and floor plates for your five US parts.  The Chinese buttstock may be hard to find and or expensive.  You could probably find a Romanian wood set on the EE and it would take minor fitting for the buttstock to work. Or you get a synthetic buttstock from KVar that works with some fitting. This is my post ban Polytech I converted.  I found a set of Polytech wood from RPB before they ran out.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Gas piston, flash surpressor, floor plate, follower, hand gaurd and pistol grip. That's what I did. Now I know some will not approve but this is what I did to mine. Face it the MAK90 never will be a large collectors hit and it will always be a shooter. So why not?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/PC200013.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/PC200012.jpg

Damn.  I've got no morals at all, and even I don't approve of that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
gave me a woody

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/PC200013.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/PC200012.jpg

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:49:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Norinco MAK-90 that came with a Dragunov-style stock.  
The stock does not feel at all cheap.  In fact, I sort of like the feel of it, but I like the authentic wood more.  And the trigger is about as good as I've seen on an AK, but I don't see any reasonable way to comply with the ATF regs other than replacing at least some of the fire control parts with US parts.  

So whadday'all think?  Should I keep it the way it is, or spend a couple hundred bucks on some Ironwood wood and an RSA trigger group and make it look like this:

I also have a Norinco with the syn stock/forend.  Well, I kind of gave it to my son.

I figured I would surprise him by converting it to PG (922r compliant of course).
When he saw it, he said "Dad, wadidyado to my rifle?" "CHANGE IT BACK!!"

If you like the rifle the way it is, leave it that way and build a kit in NOban form. That way you'll have one of each.

TheOtherChris
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#6]

I figured I would surprise him by converting it to PG (922r compliant of course).
When he saw it, he said "Dad, wadidyado to my rifle?" "CHANGE IT BACK!!"

Someone has some lessons to teach to their youngin'!

Sly
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#7]
These guys have all the correct wood EXCEPT the pistol grip. http://polytechparts.com/  The original Pistol grips are very pricey on the auction boards.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
"Face it the MAK90 never will be a large collectors hit and it will always be a shooter. So why not?"

I like that thought, somebody once said the same thing about surplus Krag Rifles, and surplus Springfield rifles, and German Mauser Rifles.......

Keep cutting them up and butchering them, and it makes the untouched ones that much more valuable to Chinese collectors, it might not be overnight, but some day, people are gonna say "I cant believe what that (Insert your sporterized, butchered rifle here) is worth now if its unmolested.."

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
These guys have all the correct wood EXCEPT the pistol grip. http://polytechparts.com/  The original Pistol grips are very pricey on the auction boards.

+1
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
"Face it the MAK90 never will be a large collectors hit and it will always be a shooter. So why not?"

I like that thought, somebody once said the same thing about surplus Krag Rifles, and surplus Springfield rifles, and German Mauser Rifles.......

Keep cutting them up and butchering them, and it makes the untouched ones that much more valuable to Chinese collectors, it might not be overnight, but some day, people are gonna say "I cant believe what that (Insert your sporterized, butchered rifle here) is worth now if its unmolested.."

I'll agree with you on your Chinese underfolder. If I had that I would not think about changing it. The Mak90 is nowhere near the caliber as you underfolder. The Mak90 was chopped up so it could come to the states. Now I guess it could be a collectors as they were the last ones to enter the states from China but it won't be a collectors that is worth the money that your underfolder is. Would you agree with that? JMHO.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top