Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:25:49 PM EDT
I am wondering if the regular wolf would be alright for long term storage (maybe 10 to 40 years depending on ammo availability) or if I should spend the extra money for the sealed cans from SG? Thanks for your responses. BigAKFan
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:37:12 PM EDT
I wouldn't worry much about it as long as you store it where it will stay dry. Back in the 70's, .223 was extremely hard to come by - no such thing as surplus ammo in that caliber. I am still shotting the stuff I loaded over 30 years ago. Not too long ago, I fired some badly stored 7.62x54R - made by Remington with a 1917 headstamp...30-40 years is nothing for any ammo if you store it in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:37:36 PM EDT
87 years

As long as any other ammo. It has more to do with how its stored and what conditions it is stored in than who made it. Moisure is ammo's worst enemy. No ammo is going to decompose.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:41:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trey-W:
87 years

As long as any other ammo. It has more to do with how its stored and what conditions it is stored in than who made it. Moisure is ammo's worst enemy. No ammo is going to decompose.

I asked a question that got the answer 87 years. Hell no.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:09:54 PM EDT
Longer than your shelf life, bud.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:13:44 PM EDT
I put some wolf ammo in an ammo can and about 2 weeks later, I opened the can and wow! a strong smell of rotten bananas .......this was the old wolf lacker ammo...that stuff just stinks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 8:50:35 PM EDT by Triumph955i]
About 3 weeks.

Then I have to fill in the spot on my shelf.

So shelf life is 3 weeks.

It will outlast you. ETA: Unless your house is underwater or something,.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 9:03:07 PM EDT by BigAKFan]

Originally Posted By HarshReality:
Longer than your shelf life, bud.

I don't know about that one. I understand your point though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:59:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lando12:
I put some wolf ammo in an ammo can and about 2 weeks later, I opened the can and wow! a strong smell of rotten bananas .......this was the old wolf lacker ammo...that stuff just stinks

Don't use bananas as a dessicant. Use silica gel next time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:35:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:

Originally Posted By Lando12:

Don't use bananas as a dessicant. Use silica gel next time.

lol... the force is strong in this one...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:09:28 AM EDT
True story here... a friend of mine went just the other day to look at some old houses. He was in the basement when he found an rifle that someone left behind. He picked it up and tried to cycle the charging handle but accidentally let it fall foward- when it suddenly goes off into the wall- luckily not blowing up the gun itself. So he brings the rifle home because he wanted to find out what it was so he calls me over. It's was an old Yugo SKS that had been left in that basement so long that rust litterally was scaling off the thing, it looked as if it were growing a layer of hair almost, honestly I have never seen a rifle in worse condition in my entire life. Anyway we pop the mag latch and the rounds go spilling on the floor, sure enough laquer cased Wolf, the rounds even had a layer of rust on the casings yet one still fired! Now his brother being an idiot decided to load up the remaining rounds into an AK and fire the things off- they all run, which I honestly could not believed seeing they were nearly brown with rust and was afraid they could split the casings for a KB. To say the least the SKS is unsalvagable, he kept it just for the hell of it, the rounds looked like fodder, yet they ran- hats off to Wolf Ammo..I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it myself.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:52:44 AM EDT
Damm even AK ammo runs for ever just like the AK's
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:13:23 AM EDT
It's hard to say...I have never been able to keep any for more than a year or two.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:05:50 PM EDT
most of the Wolf ammo is sealed which helps. I noticed the new ammo isn't sealed around the neck of the bullet. Does anyone know if it's sealed around the neck inside?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:56:25 PM EDT
I purchased my first AK in the summer of '84. I remember it well. I had purchased two cases of ammo at the time, shot some and then stored the rest in ammo cans. I kept it all these years--really don't know why, as I sold the AK in '95. Anyway, I've recently caught the AK "bug" again, and I discovered, in my gun stash, the same ammo I bought almost twenty-two years ago. The ammo didn't skip a beat!

It's not Wolf, in fact I think it was Chinese manufactured ammo, but this should give you an idea of the shelf life.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:19 AM EDT
My wife has a friend who is a woman-cop. A couple of years ago, the woman, who had been in the army in the 80's, wanted to see my toys. We were looking at all the different stuff, and she must have noticed that large amount of Wolf in a foot locker. I told her that was for range use and that there were several thousand more rounds in ammo boxes.
My wife teold me that the woman called a couple of days later and said that the armorer at her station had told her never to store Wolf Ammo for more than a year, because, get this, the gunpowder breaks down and becomes an unstable gel after a couple of years, and could explode.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:51:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BoogerSnax:
, the gunpowder breaks down and becomes an unstable gel after a couple of years, and could explode.

They are confusing gunpowder with dynamite. Dynamite is made with diatomaceous earth and nitroglycerin. Over time, the nitroglycerin weeps out of the dynamite as a gel - pure nitroglycerin. That's why they used to go in the "dynamite shack" and turn the dynamite just like rolling franks on a grill.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:45:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lancew:

, the gunpowder breaks down and becomes an unstable gel after a couple of years, and could explode.

They are confusing gunpowder with dynamite. Dynamite is made with diatomaceous earth and nitroglycerin. Over time, the nitroglycerin weeps out of the dynamite as a gel - pure nitroglycerin. That's why they used to go in the "dynamite shack" and turn the dynamite just like rolling franks on a grill.

Heh.
And this coming from a cop, who has been in the army. I know she has safety in mind, but people being this uninformed, especially police officers and armorers, is why I'm having ZERO faith in the "system" when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:37:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lancew:

Heh.
And this coming from a cop, who has been in the army. I know she has safety in mind, but people being this uninformed, especially police officers and armorers, is why I'm having ZERO faith in the "system" when the SHTF.

You nailed it. Here, years ago, we used to have a Firefighters vs. Police Officers/Sheriff's Department shoot. It was informal, but fun nonetheless. The firemen would routinely outshoot the cops. I'm serious. As far as weapons? I sent them a Christmas card one year with a picture of all the firefighters' weapons and gear, along with some of the fellas. It said, "Merry Christmas from your friendly neighborhood "smoke eaters."

In 1982 when Miracle Valley "blew up," (it was on CNN), the cops were borrowing weapons, i.e., SP-1s, Armalite 180s, M-1 carbines, etc., from the firemen. Outrageous.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:21:12 PM EDT
there was a guy over on assault web who did some pretty exhaustive testing with both new and old wolf ammo, found out that it did degrade over a 5 year period, with increased velocity and pressure to the tune of about 150 to 200 fps faster than when he had originally shot the ammo. I won't bore you with the details so here's the link( I just can't get it hot, so if somebody can do that for me I'd appreciate it) http://www.assaultweb.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgiubb=get_topic;f=49;t=000589;p=0t
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:54:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 8:43:57 PM EDT by BigAKFan]
www.assaultweb.net

ETA: One guy speculated that they are allowing Wolf ammo in the country because of a short shelf life. Scary.

Just like anything. This is telling me not to have all my eggs in one basket. Thanks kzracer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:32:45 PM EDT
can't make that link work, just goto assaultweb.net, goto the ammo section, and look under A Tribute to Yoda-Dad
Top Top