Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 7:24:40 PM EDT
I've got the front rivets down perfect with cwtoyota's bolt cutter rivet squeezers, but I can't figure out the right technique for a perfect rivet squeeze for the long rivets. I got the divet block for the formed end and a press to squeeze the rivet, but I can't seem to get the rivet to squeeze straight. I know having everything perfectly square is crucial, so I guess this is my question. For you guys using this technique for long rivets, how are you keeping everything square and making your rivets look good? Any special tips? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 7:55:52 PM EDT by harley_nut]
I just received plinker762's rear rivet tool and it seems to be the answer to getting perfect rivet sets. Here is a pic of the tool.

and the results

These are Plinker762's pics but the two AMDs I did tonight with the tool look just as good.

If your interested, maybe he'll agree to build you one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:54:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By harley_nut:
I just received plinker762's rear rivet tool and it seems to be the answer to getting perfect rivet sets.

Difficulty: without mentioning the words "plinker" and "jig"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:58:56 PM EDT
I'm sorry. It's late and my brain isn't working as it should.

Would you rephrase? I have no idea what your talking about.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:01:44 PM EDT
Well, I don't know if mine are perfect, and I know for sure they aren't round on both sides. I do mine by laying the receiver with rivet in it on a piece of steel that I drilled a dimple in, then clamp it down to that steel with the rivet sticking through on the top, then proceed to form the rivet head with a ball peen hammer until I am satisfied with it. I get a nicely formed flat head on the left side of my receivers, because I always insert the rivets from the right side. Now if you want round headed rivets on both sides, sorry I can't help you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:47:44 AM EDT
Sorry if I was confusing, I was looking for an answer along the lines that dale stated. I was having trouble getting the rivets to squash straight when using a dimple block and a press to flatten the rivet. I'm not looking for round heads on both sides, I can live with the squeezed rivet on one side. How are they turning out with the hammer? I guess I would like more control over the process, seems a hammer would give that control. I was also thinking of welding together a pseudo plinker's jig but just for the rear rivets. I have an AMD all together with the exception of the rear rivets which I was unsure of because I had bent them over before. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:32:45 AM EDT
I dont press them at all.I just whack them with a hammer.Only takes a couple well placed strikes.If they deform , peen them till they look ok. You can always Dremel them into any shape you desire.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:50:09 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses, I'm going to get out the hammer tonight and try it that way. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:22:20 AM EDT
Just make sure you aren't using TAPCO rivets. They are too small in diameter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:21:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 11:21:45 AM EDT by squeky]

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Just make sure you aren't using TAPCO rivets. They are too small in diameter.

Found out those sucked long ago... Actually looking at their site yesterday, it looks like they're actually making the correct long rivets now, but they still bundle the horrible center support rivet. Not that it probably matters to a lot of people, because I'm guessing most (like myself) have the tooling for import rivet head sizes. Also looks like they have two small swell necks for the short rivets.
Top Top