Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/11/2003 4:12:46 PM EDT
First, my appologies for not having all the information on this problem.  I don't have an AK, it belongs to a guy I work with.

He was shooting some steel cased ammo last week and ended up with a fired case stuck in the chamber.  The extractor ripped through the case head.  He has used a wood and steel rod to pound the case out with no success.  He froze the receiver assy. to loosen the case, with no success.  He has soaked the received in Kroyl (sp?) also with no success.  Can anyone help with removing this case?  Our last option is going to rebarrel the rifle.

Thanks for any help.

Sarge
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
there is a tool for this (damn and words fail me at this moment).. ruptured case remover or somthing like that
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried that too, no go.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the gun is at the smith now (the owner, the smith and I all work together).  He is having serious issues with this.  The case IS fired.  He has tried about everything he knows to remove the case.  I was hoping that someone here might have had this problem before and knew of some tip or trick to dislodge this problem.  We are still working on it though.  After all this, it might be easier to just get a new barrel for the AK.

Sarge
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:14:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the head still on the case or has it been removed. If it is the later, a broken shell extractor should do it.

If the head is still on the case, do like mickey mouse suggested and use thermal expansion to add clearance to the chamber.

Strip the sucker down, and heat it up to 350 for 10-15 minutes, shoot some component cooler down the barrel with the the rifle pointing up and on a solid surface. Hammer the case out using a solid rod. (don't ask campy about hydrogen embrittlement)

Or as a another thing to try, just use a solid rod and an air hammer/ rivet gun. Just make sure that it is against a solid surface.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]

just use a solid rod and an air hammer/ rivet gun. Just make sure that it is against a solid surface.

This just sounds like fun.  I will see the smith later tonight when he comes in for his shift.  I will get some more details from him then and suggest the air hammer routine.

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top