Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 7:16:58 PM EDT
I saw a post a few weeks ago where someone offered to push out barrel pins for a small fee. Anyone remember who this was? I've got a Romy and a Polish that just won't give 'em up (obviously I don't have a press). Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
How did you try and get them out??

did you cover them in penetrating oil and freeze them overnight?

I can try and get them out for free, just send me enough$$ or a shipping label for return shipping.

Let me know, but if you didnt freeze them and use a 12 ton press to get them out, I can understand why they didnt budge.

FREE
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Soaked them in Kroil for a couple of days. Then put them in my 5" vise. Didn't freeze them, tho. I'll give that a try next.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine came out pretty easy with a generous spray of Breakfree Powder blast, then an overnight soaking in 3 in 1 oil.  Then I just took to it with a punch and 3 lb hammer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#4]
but if you didnt freeze them and use a 12 ton press to get them out, FREEFALLE7

Whats with the freezing?????I've always been under the impression that when things get cold they SHRINK....
I have freezed races"a bearing" to shrink them for installing but never for removal.

I don't freeze my barrel / trunnion  reciver remnant assemble but I bath it in PB penetrating spray overnight and hit it with a 12ton press....
The Romy's barrel pin always bang loudly when free and the Polish slide out like a slick turd.....
I do freeze the barrel pin before installing the barrel into place for final major assembly.
But never for removal....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Soaked them in Kroil for a couple of days. Then put them in my 5" vise. Didn't freeze them, tho. I'll give that a try next.

Did you try giving the vise a few whacks with a big hammer (I use a big wooden mallet) after you have tightened up with the vise?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#6]
contact this guy and he will press out your barrel and pin.he did mine and did a great job.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I can see how the Romanian could have been a bugger, but the Polish pins have  always come out without any hitch for me..

If you are in Washington State, I could use my 20 ton press, but im willing to be there are people closer to ya that can do it also.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Instead of shipping these off you can take it to virtually any machine shop/ bearing shop and have it pressed out in under 5 minutes.  Probably cost you more in gas cost than labor fee if you drive somewhere locally.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Or send it to me.  I have done 4 now, total of 6 minutes each.  I made some "custom tools" one night when I was mad at my wife.  

email me for info.

OMP

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input; problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
So how did you fix it??

Freezing??

FREE

Quoted:
Thanks for all the input; problem solved.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya how did you do it?  I opened my big yap and tonight I have one that wont budge.  Actually chipped the pin.    ARRRGGG.

Matt
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry, I should have elaborated. I sent them out to someone who I contacted. My schedule is a bit crazy in my line of work, and this seemed like the easiest solution.

It's funny hearing about how much trouble yugos are supposed to give people. Both of mine were the easiest of all. Then a Romy. My Polish and my second Romy just wouldn't move, even with a 3lb hammer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#14]
You may think this is nuts but... Freezing w/Compound W warp freeze actually works Very well. You cam pin point what gets frozen.

David
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Try a 6 inch vise, a 3/8 socket ground to fit the trunion side, a really short 1/4 in. push pin, plus sucessively longer ones, and a piece of pipe on the vise handle.  Torque it down until the pin ALMOST buckles.  Then whack the movable end of the vise with a big hammer or hand sledge.  It'll probably move a touch.  Use longer pins as needed.  My worst case was a Tantal that needed a pin, made from a piece of a 1/4 in. drill shank, so short I only got in 2 vise cranks before putting in a slightly longer one.  The push pin got squashed, now looks like a little barrel.

Of my 3 Romys, one came out by hammer and punch easily, one in the vise with difficulty, one almost as bad as the horrible Tantal.  Only one gave an audible pop, and all the tough ones fought me all the way.

Pushing the barrel was similar, one with a hammer and socket, the others pretty tough using the Autozone pulley puller in a vise and a big long wrench to turn it.  Just be sure to shim the barrel breech so you get a straight push.

BTW, I heated them, soaked for a week in PB Blaster, froze, used receiver heating, air hammered - didn't help until I got the monster 6 inch industrial vise, made short push pins and cranked and whacked.

Also, push from right (looking forward, to left.  My pins were tapered a bit less than .001, assuming it didn't happen from all the hammering!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Or send it to me.  I have done 4 now, total of 6 minutes each.  I made some "custom tools" one night when I was mad at my wife.  

email me for info.

OMP

Ugh my barrel keeps flying on the ground from the pressure of the press. Also keep bending punches, flinging old bolts I use for pressing the pins. It's so violent that i'm scared! I messed up my sight too in the process... Hurts when I think about it, but I'm sure I can fix it.hare
What everyone else is saying, soak with PB while in the freezer? I'll give that s shot...

I'm so thankful that my first build wasn't that bad. (these are both romys)
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I ordered a barrel press kit I will let you know how it works when I get it.

http://ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=10
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Phew I got that damn pin out. It looks like they tacked alittle weld and smashed it in! I used the freezer plus firebase's method. Thanks everyone! he
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I ended up cutting a good large srew driver shank for the punch, and then used a 1/2 ton arbor press from work, along with a 3 lb sledge.  It went in with a lot less trouble.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Took a bit from a air hammer, turned it down to the correct diameter, rehardend it in the fire at night.  that removes the cross pin.  Then I made a adapter that fits just perfect in front of the barrel that I attach to my air hammer, place a few pennies in forn and woolaa!   Barrel poops out the front.

OMP
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top