Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:39:06 AM EDT
I am planning on doing a screw build using a 1.6 mm receiver. Are there any issues concerning threading the trunnions after they have been  narrowed to 1.6mm receiver specs? Specifically, is there enough thickness left  after machining, for the screws to grip?

Thanks
CJ
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
i wouldnt try it
there isnt much there to begin with

but im not a fan of screw builds and prolly alittle bias but hey atleast im honest
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree. There is only .100 of meat to start with, removing another .6mm (@.025) will leave you with only .075 to work with.

When using a 10-32 screw You'd be lucky to get 2 full threads
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep +1 to all of the above.- Buy a Tapco flat and go "get bent" if you're determined to have a screw build.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I would not use a 1.6mm receiver for a screw build.  And that's from someone who does nothing but screw builds (and without removing the barrel.)  The rear trunion is a non-issue with the 1.6 receiver as there is beau coup metal to shave after emoving the rivets.  However, the 4 upper screws on the front trunnion will present a problem---even with the 1.0mm receiver there's not a lot of meat to tap the 10x32 screws.  The two lower screws on the front present less of a problem, especially if you use 1/4x28 button head screws, but the 4 uppers are the sticking point.  You don't want to tap into the barrel shank and if you have to shave the front trunnion to fit the wider receiver you make the issue more acute.  Better to shave the receiver, which kind of defeats its advantages.  Better yet to use a stock 1.0 receiver which was made to handle full auto fire which you will not experience except as the addicted bumper.

The screw build was my choice because of limited tools (drill press and taps) and the fact that you can really fine tune the fit of the mags and top cover.

HTH
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top