Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/4/2005 8:01:17 PM EDT
Sorry if this has been a frequent topic, but how do you properly align/mount a scope rail to the receiver?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:04:35 AM EDT
My guess would be to take my initial measurements off of the top rail. The top rail is in-line with the dustcover and on a parallel plain as the barrel, therefore I would start at the top rail and measure down...but then again I am new to this stuff and have never put a side scope mount on an AK before...but I plan to! LOL!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
Where can you get the rails? I don't think the AK really needs a scope, but a red dot might not be bad.
Anybody know of any on-line info on optic rail mounting?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:42:04 PM EDT
Well, maybe I've found an answer: accoring to this link, there are some standard dimensions to follow (apparently different between milled and stamped). Perhaps one of you guys can post the image?

This is only one source, and I plan to keep digging before I start poking holes. Please share anything you can find.

BTW, sleeper: ORF carries the rails.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:23:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:50:08 AM EDT
well, when I mount mine, I always look off of another rifle which already has them installed

basicaly, mount it parallel to the top rail, and a little below it, (about 3/8 to 1/2") and high enough above the axis holes to allow the pins to clear the rail for assembly/dissasembly.

I have found the best way is to c-clamp it in place, then drill through the rail holes, into the receiver. Then unclamp, and tap the rail. debur the receiver and rail holes, so everything will be flush when you reinstall it. then from the inside, install the rail using button head allen screws

a helpful hint, for drilling the clearance holes in the receiver, I use the tap as a drill, to ream the receiver holes bigger, makes a perfect fit.

locktite

also, be careful about the lower rail, when installing the screws, make sure they don't hit the lower rail.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:26:50 PM EDT
Thanks, Mack and santana. Appreciate it very much.
Top Top