Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 11:48:14 AM EDT
I saw this description on the Arsenal Inc. site regarding the SAM 7S."SA M-7 S is equiped with scope rail mount" While the Guns N stuff add says "has a scope rail attached with laser precision". I wonder which one it is?

Aim says their SAR-1's and 2's come with a  "rail mount." Does that mean I have to buy the rail itself? How much does that run and how hard are they to attach.

I already have a Kobra red dot sight in route so it makes a difference right now. I thought I had decided to get a SAM7S but someone said they were happy with their stock SAR-2 so I was thinking of getting a SAR-1 and SAR-2 from AIM if everyone is happy with their products lately. But I guess I would have to buy rails for both to mount the Kobra?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If the scope rail is mounted on the weapon, then the Kobra mounts to that. The SAR-1 & 2 come with the rail attached, and I'm assuming the SAM 7 does too.

Nothing else to buy but the Kobra. As long as you got the standard AK mount model.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Only the SAM-7(S) has a scope mount.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the scope rail is mounted on the weapon, then the Kobra mounts to that. The SAR-1 & 2 come with the rail attached, and I'm assuming the SAM 7 does too.

Nothing else to buy but the Kobra. As long as you got the standard AK mount model.

Guess I'm not understanding. From what the Reps at AIM said, the guns come with a rail mount but no rail. I don't know if that makes any sense. The SAM 7S information say two things. The Arsenal site says it comes with a mount but the Guns N Stuff sight says it comes with a rail that is precisioned laser aligned. Are the words "rail" and "mount" used interchangeably?

Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Only the SAM-7(S) has a scope mount.

The guys at AIM say the SAR-1 and SAR-2 come with the mounts. Is that not the same thing as rails?

Are we haveing  a nomenclature problem. I guess I should say "I" am having a nomenclature problem....
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
SAM-7S, SAR-1 and SAR-2 all have a scope mount/rail on the left side of the receiver. Semantics problem. If your Kobra has a weaver base then you are going to need an additional mount to attach the Kobra to the rail. Some Kobras have this mount attached to them and are designed to attach directly to the rail on the side of the receiver.

The non (S) SAM-7 does not have the rail.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Left/right it's all the same!  Oops.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SAM-7S, SAR-1 and SAR-2 all have a scope mount/rail on the left side of the receiver. Semantics problem. If your Kobra has a weaver base then you are going to need an additional mount to attach the Kobra to the rail. Some Kobras have this mount attached to them and are designed to attach directly to the rail on the side of the receiver.

The non (S) SAM-7 does not have the rail.

Thanks, If I'm not mistaken, Yuri from Freedom Optics said it had everything I need. I guess I'm going to find out...
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i.b., i think you meant LEFT side of the receiver.

all the romanian ak's imported to date have the optic mounting plate (aka "rail") riveted in place from the factory in cugir, romania.

the sa-m7 has NO optic mounting plate from the factory.

the sa-m7s DOES have the optic mounting plate tiveted on from the factory.

none of the above rifles include a scope mount. the scope mount slides onto the optic mounting plate and locks in place.

the scope mounts are integral in the construction of russian/com bloc scopes and separate weaver/picatinny rail mounts are available for use with conventional rings/scopes.

Thanks for clarifying this situation. I figured it was something like that. So each rifle has mounting plates and if you want a weaver scope you have to have a special mount. Russian Optics, like Kobra, are designed to mount right on the plate... This is what I thought, based on my readings. The distributors just threw me by using the words "rail" and "mount" interchangeably.

Your sage advice is always welcome....
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
montag (farenheit 451?), i think you got it!

Oh no, not another reader! And an iconoclast to boot, if I read your other posts correctly. Been online for nearly 15 years and nobody in the "highbrow" newsgroups or elists ever picked up on the name. But once I join a couple of AK boards, where the press says neaderthals hang out, I suddenly find people who actually read and can REMEMBER what they read. This happened on the "other" AK board as well. If this keeps up people are going to have to change their stereotypes.. God Forbid!!

The most dangerous weapon in the world. An intelligent man with an Ak-47... Yikes!

Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hehehe! yes, montag (the character) and i are both iconoclasts!

i'll bet it's been 30 years or more since i read that book.

don't get me started on all the 'subversive' literature i read in the '60's and '70's or we'll never get back to kalashnikovs!!!

Ok.. Let's see what we have here..

Reads subversive literature...
Seems to have above average intelligence...
Enjoys firing AK's...
Lives in a secluded location.....

hmmm... Is your real name Kaczynski and have you written any manifestos?

Remind me not to have you send me anything in the mail!!!      hock.gif
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Enjoys firing AK's... and my beloved rimfires!

And older, low-tech vehicles. Fond of Tannerite. Strong opinions spread far to recruit others to the cause, with plenty of room for hidden messages in his rants. Smells like Al-Qaeda to me...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
.......and what about his feelings on Shimano?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top