Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:34:50 AM EDT
I was shooting my ARs and noticed this interesting rifle a couple of bays down.  I talked to the guy a little but he really didn't know what model it was except it was a Galil - his dad got it in some kind of loan collateral thing.  He wasn't the friendliest guy and he looked like an extra from the Sopranos.  All I know is that it was .223/5.56 caliber and had an 18-20" barrel.

Anyway, it was beautiful and I want one.  I did a search on the good ole WWW and found out two things.  These rifles are rare and expensive.  I still want one.  Is the way to go to buy parts and assemble them or to save, save, save and buy one outright?  You guys got to help me because I got it bad!  Thanks.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Mbsk01,

Thank you for replying.  I was afraid that was the answer.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Receiver from ORF will cost $400. It will cost you $400 to have somebody put it together. Parts Kit will run $450 to $800.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are wanting a shooter check out the Galils put together by Arizona Response System.
They are built on IMI receivers and pretty much the real deal.
They run in the $1700- $2000 range for a AR model.
I pre-ban AR will cost you at least $500 more, a ARM add a $1000 or so
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Galil AR that I bought back in 1987.  It's still in mint condition too.  These rifles were pretty expensive even back in the days when they were still imported.  I think I paid around $750 back in 87.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the replies.  I'll get in contact with Arizona Response Systems since they are in my area.  I've already told everyone in my family that hasn't bought me a present that I want cold hard cash for Xmas so I start saving for an AK-variant.  

Is a Galil "worth"  2 to 3 times more money than a really good AK like an Arsenal, VEPR or Poly Tech?

John
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is a Galil "worth"  2 to 3 times more money than a really good AK like an Arsenal, VEPR or Poly Tech?

John

The most significant "worth" of an IMI Galil is its rarity. There were less than 7000 imported into the US pre '89 and by law no more can come in. The supply is fixed and the demand continues to grow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

John

No

But its not about worth in the since of money , its bigger than that  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
If Arsenal can offer milled receiver guns in the neighborhood of $700, why couldn't someone offer a decent US-compliant Galil in the ballpark of $1000? I would think such a fine rifle would sell like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
A U.S. compliant Galil would be great! But I live in Upstate NY where we still have a NY AW ban so I suppose I wouldn't be able to buy one. Maybe if it had a different name, like Gerbil it would be OK? I can own an Arsenal SA-M7, but not a Galil? I'm confused. Can anybody explain this clearly?
Thanks,
J'Bob
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There were less than 7000 imported into the US pre '89 and by law no more can come in.

I have a Springfield postban Galil that I'm told was imported after '89.  I wonder how many of those came in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If Arsenal can offer milled receiver guns, why couldn't someone offer a decent US-compliant Galil? I would think such a fine rifle would sell like hotcakes.

They are. They're made by ohio rapid fire.

Quoted:
If Arsenal can offer guns in the neighborhood of $700, why couldn't someone offer a decent US-compliant Galil in the ballpark of $1000?

Because Arsenal make only a few of their own parts. They finish the recievers here and assemble them with several Bulgarian parts that are beginning to get very expensive! Atleast those parts are comming in though. The Galil parts are not comming into the US in any kind of quantity. So simple supply and demand.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top