Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:49:39 PM EDT
Ok this may be a stupid question but I can't seem to find any sort of an answer so I am going to ask it anyways. Is there any way to build your own Saiga 12 or 308? If it is a possiblitly where might one find parts, barrel, reciever flats, bolt, carrier, etc. etc. etc.?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:19 PM EDT
Doubtful

I've never heard of any spare parts for Saiga's being on the market. Tons of aftermarket stuff but nothing essential.

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:52:41 PM EDT
They are less than $300. It probably isnt very cost effective.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 6:58:44 PM EDT by Imaposer2]
I guess I gotta ask, why would you want to build one from scratch when they are readily available? I mean neither of these were a military rifle that was demilled, so parts kits aren't really available. Although I guess it might be possible to scrounge various parts together from various forum classifieds...maybe... but I don't know about the availability of suitable receivers.

You can buy a standard sporter version and do the conversion yourself to save some cash, but AFAIK the parts aren't readily available to build one.

ETA: looks like I was beat to it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:42 PM EDT
I guess I will have to look at other places, the cheapest I have seen them at my local gun shop is around the $500 mark. Which was why I was curious if it was even a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:23:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By diaz_aa:
They are less than $300. It probably isnt very cost effective.

I don't know where you can get a .308 Saiga that cheap. Or an S12 either, for that matter. If I could find them I'd be all over a new S12 for $300.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 8:34:47 PM EDT by diaz_aa]
My buddy picked it up at the fun show.... Ive seen numerous at that price... Saiga 308s... In Houston.

ETA: Supposedly saigas are not/ will not be imported so the price is/ will be going up... The prices stated are from 08-09...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:15:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By diaz_aa:
My buddy picked it up at the fun show.... Ive seen numerous at that price... Saiga 308s... In Houston.

ETA: Supposedly saigas are not/ will not be imported so the price is/ will be going up... The prices stated are from 08-09...

The rumor of Saigas not being imported ever again seems to crop up at least once a year. And yet, they always come back on the market, eventually.

I've seen three prior rounds of "There won't be any more Saigas imported!". I'll believe that only when two or more years go by, and no more Saigas have been imported.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:28:04 AM EDT
It would take you a looooooooooong time to find all of the parts. Saiga 12s are $469 at KVar.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:18:39 AM EDT
Alliance has made many of the s-12 parts from scratch when a customer has lost or damaged a part beyond repair, but it's not done to save money it's done out of necessity because spare parts are not readily available.
The Alliance ORIGIN receiver will work with all s-12 parts but you would have to use their machined receiver rails instead of the factory sheet metal rails.

Evil is spot on saying k-var has the best price unless you buy used or find a deal on gunbroker!
Top Top