Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2003 5:54:24 AM EDT
In a conversation at work today with a new supervisor, the subject of Saigas came up.

He insited they could easily be converted to a "pre-ban" style configureation.

I had a shotgun news there and showed him the difference in the reciever in the Saiga and the new Vepr from Robinson.

I explained that the recievers were different, and it is not that easy to convert the Saiga becasue the trigger group is too far back on the reciver.

His respnce was that "there are holes in the reciver, you just pop out the trigger, and the guard, and move them forward to the next set of holes". " I saw this on a Saiga web site".

I tried to explain that moving the trigger group would result in major problems with the bolt and carrier, as they are in that spot for a reason. I have never heard of a gun that had a modular reciever in this way.

Am I wrong here, or is he being misled? This guy is about to spend a lot of money on something that I think he will screw up.........
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If I recall correctly, Plateshooter has one where he just removed some of the front of the pistol grip to clear the trigger guard. Using a fatter Ergo grip the reacharound is about the same as the distance from a std popsicle stick pistol grip/trigger front.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe your supervisor is partly correct, I have seen a few Saiga conversions and there is a little work invovled but it is possible. I'm thinking about having Troy at InRange build up a .308 rifle for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
(did this in my shop with a Class III mfr friend of mine in about 10 minutes.)

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Basicly he is right.  You drill out one end of the 2 rivets holding the fire controlextension and pound them out.  Then remove the fire control.  Next remove the plate thats rivited to the receiver and romove the trigger guard from that.  Paint the bottom of the receiver, add a bulg. 74 trigger (the other Siaga parts will work with it)and pistol grip and screw and its now a pistol griped gun.

If you want a more detalied description, email me.  I've done a 7.62, .223, and .308 pistol grip conversion.

Brick  
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, what I am not getting here, is if you move the trigger forward, how will it still work with the bolt carrier?  It will still be in the same place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#7]
 The bolt and carrier are standard AK items, and are located in the receiver the same as a standard AK.

It is really straight plug and play with AK parts, but requires some craft and a moderate ammount of skill and determination to accomplish.

As campy stated earlier, the only real bastard part to it is to change the handguard to AK configuration, but even that is not beyond one who is determined and has resources.

Chuck
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I understand now.  I was trying to picture a regular AK action. I see how it would be feasebale now.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Did I hear Saiga conversion?

go to the Russian forum and look at my tacked post at the top.

or go here:

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=52693&page=1

Conversions Galore!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Any info there to make it full auto, because that is what he wants to do with it now!

I got out of that conversation fast.

Just what the world needs, an idiot with an illegal full auto 20ga. Saiga.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Campy, Eladeflow is in the process of buying one... worked hard all summer to save up the cash.  I know he is hoping to convert it.  Any chance you want to help the little whelp in this endeavoe?  You're both Ohioites.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top