Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page AK-47 » Russian
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2007 9:38:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/1/2007 2:36:07 AM EDT by BBowie]
I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of the different AKs out there and Saigas look like a value if you are willing to do the conversion to pistol grip etc yourself, however I have not been able find out whether the front grips can be replaced easily with stock AK furniture or Galil stuff.

Could I get some feedback on this? If its too much trouble, I may need to just look for a different AK (Lancaster or Vector though more expensive I wouldn't need to convert them)- I am looking for a cheap, reliable plinker, not anything fancy - but I'd like to eventually convert it into a zombie killer:

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/2/2007 10:34:54 AM EDT by Aloxite]
The Saiga lacks a lower handguard retainer.

You can press off the FSB and gas block and install one (and then press everything back on.)

Another option is to make or buy a clamp on lower handguard retainer.
Dinzag over at the Saiga-12 forum sells them.
I made this one using a two piece clamping collar and a hacked up Romy retainer..

The cheap and easy way to add a forward pistol grip would be to keep your stock Saiga handguard, cut a hole in it, and attach a pistol grip using a standard AK pistol grip nut and screw.

These pics show a 308 handguard that I did that to.
I also shaved the handguard down with a belt sander and cut some notches in it to match the East German upper handguard.
Rail is hacked out of a lame B-square AK scope mount.
Sling thing is hacked from a scope ring.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:24:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 9:25:26 AM EDT by BBowie]
thanks for the info - I found details on how to do this over at the saiga-12 forums and also found Dinzag's stuff too....

I'm torn between getting the Saiga vs getting a Lancaster or Vector at Atlantic.

Also, that's an interesting finish on that ak - what is it exactly?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 11:38:41 AM EDT by Aloxite]
That is sandblasted bare steel.

It got flat black Norrels molyresin and some new wood.

Here is the thread
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=100003
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:51:17 PM EDT
just put in my order for a russian red Lancaster with Atlantic - have to do my draconian Md paperwork once it gets to my ffl and then 7 says.... boooo!!!

maybe I should move to PA lol
Page AK-47 » Russian
Top Top