Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/30/2007 9:38:43 AM EDT
I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of the different AKs out there and Saigas look like a value if you are willing to do the conversion to pistol grip etc yourself, however I have not been able find out whether the front grips can be replaced easily with stock AK furniture or Galil stuff.

Could I get some feedback on this? If its too much trouble, I may need to just look for a different AK (Lancaster or Vector though more expensive I wouldn't need to convert them)- I am looking for a cheap, reliable plinker, not anything fancy - but I'd like to eventually convert it into a zombie killer:

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Saiga lacks a lower handguard retainer.

You can press off the FSB and gas block and install one (and then press everything back on.)

Another option is to make or buy a clamp on lower handguard retainer.
Dinzag over at the Saiga-12 forum sells them.
I made this one using a two piece clamping collar and a hacked up Romy retainer..

The cheap and easy way to add a forward pistol grip would be to keep your stock Saiga handguard, cut a hole in it, and attach a pistol grip using a standard AK pistol grip nut and screw.

These pics show a 308 handguard that I did that to.
I also shaved the handguard down with a belt sander and cut some notches in it to match the East German upper handguard.
Rail is hacked out of a lame B-square AK scope mount.
Sling thing is hacked from a scope ring.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the info - I found details on how to do this over at the saiga-12 forums and also found Dinzag's stuff too....

I'm torn between getting the Saiga vs getting a Lancaster or Vector at Atlantic.

Also, that's an interesting finish on that ak - what is it exactly?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That is sandblasted bare steel.

It got flat black Norrels molyresin and some new wood.

Here is the thread
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=100003
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
just put in my order for a russian red Lancaster with Atlantic - have to do my draconian Md paperwork once it gets to my ffl and then 7 says.... boooo!!!

maybe I should move to PA lol
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top