Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2003 1:18:56 AM EDT
Has anyone out there ever owned/shot on of these weapons?  If so, what did you think and how did it compare to an AK (function, reliability, accuracy, etc).  Thanks,
Paul
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I own one.  I find it to be one of the most miss labeled rifles on the market.  It hasn't sold well in the US but is one fine shooter.  It's basically a SKS  length barrel, AK Receiver, and sporter nylon stock.  It will feed anything and give you the acuracy of the SKS which is better than the average AK.  It comes with mil spec side scope mount which I have a pop24 lighted recticle scope and also use a AK pop off and on dust cover mounted scope.  In short, most of the AK extras will work on the Saiga.

The AK receiver has been modified to not accept high capacity AK mags by narrowing the gap on the mag catch.  This can be legally modified by adding US parts. If SHTF a dremmel and two minutes and your AK mag works fine.  It comes with a five and ten round high quality (for Russian) plastic mag which is fine for the range.

I put a bipod on mine and keep the dust cover scope on it mainly.  It's quite a looker and gets alot of comments at the range and by my friends.  The fact they didn't sell that well makes them a little rare.

It is as advertised a sport model AK. I would not recommend it as a replacement for an AK but would fit the needs of the deer hunter that would like to hunt with an AK but doesn't want the assault weapon look or the hunter that wants to use an SKS without the weight.  It has a real sniper look to it with a scope but like all 7.62X39s the bullet drops like a rock over 300 yards.  

It's different and maybe that's why I like it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of accuracy are you talking about?  I have an SKS that does not group well at 100 yards (4-8").  As a matter of fact, it's the second SKS I have owned that would not shoot well.  I feel like I need some more accurate in the woods and I really like the 7.62 x 39 round.  Thanks,
Paul  
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
i was shooting a 7.62 saiga at a paperback edition of the scarlet letter at 100 yards off hand with iron sights. absolutely destroyed it. book was no bigger than a bushmaster catalog.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
SuperChicken about nailed it and so did you.

I'm afraid I am a bit of skeptic in using the word acuracy and 7.62X39 in the same sentence.  The round just doesn't have enough powder and muzzle velocity which is why the Russians have the 7.62X54R.  I do like the heavy bullet and the associated impact. In other words, makes one hell of a fine mess when it hits something.  

I wish I could make you feel better about the Saiga for it is one cool sporter but I have a SKS as well and feel they are about the same when it comes to acuarcy.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top