Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2002 4:01:45 AM EDT
I'm new to this board, and am seeking some advice. I have a new Saiga 7.62 rifle that is experiencing a feed failure when the bolt is manually cycled to chamber the first round. Once the first round is chambered, it has no further failures during firing. This seems to happen mostly with Wolf hollow point ammo. I also have an occasional double fire when the trigger is lightly pulled. Anyone else having these problems? Would the Red Star trigger help the double tap? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
might be becuase there is no feed ramp in the saiga rifles. i had the same problem with my uncle's and HP. just pull the bolt back and let it slam forward i guess. you could weld in a feed ramp (bullet guide) if you want. never had the double fire problem though.

kvar has bulgarian bullet guides (rivet) but im not sure about eh legallity of adding another foreign part. idk really know if you can install one or not.... but here they are anyways www.k-varcorp.com/bulletguides.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Found the problem, a bad magazine. Tried a different one and the problems went away. The rifle does have a feed ramp welded in it, but today I tried a different mag and it worked great. Thnks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm asuming that you have a stock "sporterized" Saiga that takes 10 round polymer mags as opposed to a pistol gripped, hi capacity rifle converted by Hesse or someone else.    The stock Saiga's have a feed ramp built into the mag that sits higher than a regular feed ramp, so adding one to the rifle won't work.  It seems your ammo is getting hung up on the feed ramp.  Here's my thoughts.

1.  You may be "riding" the charging handle forward with your hand as you try to chamber the first round.  This reduces the  full spring force on the bolt and then it doesn't have enough power to push the round past the feed ramp. Since fired rounds do not hang up, but manually charged ones do, This is my first guess.  Try pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and then simply let go, allowing the spring to close the bolt.

2.  The feed ramp in the mag may need to be filed down a little bit.  Does it jam with different mags or only one?  Hollow point ammo does not have a "point" at the tip like FMJ, but a little flat space.  If this flat tip touches the feed ramp first instead of the side of the bullet it will stick.  If you lower the feed ramp with a file JUST A BIT to alloow the tip to pass over the top of the ramp and contact the ramp on the side of the bullet rather than AT the tip it should feed fine.  
The mags may also adjust thenselves over time with more rounds fire through them.

3.  If you have a high capacity rifle, that is another story.  I have four Saiga's, some stock, and some I've converted myself, so I can also help you if it's a hicap.  Post back here with your findings and we'll go from there.

Stock Saiga's use a special trigger group, so a Red Star Arms one is out.

The doubling sounds like the disconnector is not catching the hammer as the bolt cycles.  you may be using underpowered ammo that doesn't cycle the bolt all the way to the rear, or it may just be that you have to pull harder on the trigger to rotate the trigger group high enough for the disconnect to catch.  Unload it, open it up, and play with the action and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps!

Edited to say "you beat me to it!"

so is it a hicap rifle?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 2:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The rifle accepts standard double stack 30rd mags, and already has a feed ramp installed.

The original 30rd mag seemed to be the culprit, tried the 30rd one for my SAR-1 and it worked good, no problems. Tried the one that was giving me problems in the Saiga, in the SAR-1, and it worked good also. But tried the original one back in the Saiga, the problem re-appeared.
So I think the problem has fixed itself.

Have not yet figured out how to post pics on this forum yet, any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks for allthe help!
Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
kvar has bulgarian bullet guides (rivet) but im not sure about eh legallity of adding another foreign part.

Bullet guides/feed ramps are not considered a "part" for purposes of 922[r].
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top