Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 8:20:00 PM EDT
What do you guys do with the stock trigger? Its just lousy?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Chuck it and install a proper FCG?  There's not much you can do with the stock unit, it all has to do with the geometry/leverage design they opted to use.  Completely different from the 7.62/.223 models.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
So what is the proper FCG?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
There was a guy on saiag-12 that found how to reduce the trigger creep on the stock trigger.

Saiga-12

Maybe that can help you out.  Although its my opinion that if you've got the trigger group out you are almost halfway through the Pistol Grip conversion anyway, so why not finish it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#5]
does anyone know where there are detailed instructions on the conversion? I know that the 308 is different than the other calibers.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The cross-conn website is really the best site.  There are just some steps you can skip because tehy do not apply to the .308, like installing ta feed ramp.  Rook also posted great photos in another thread in this forum, so check it out as well.

And don't forget MRW's sticky tread at the top.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your help. It was very helpful.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#8]
+1  Thanks, cross-conn is excellent.  Time to restore the saiga to the way it was meant to be.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
So who makes the best fcg?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Red Star Arms followed by the Tapco G2.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the G2 have a lot better feel than the factory unit?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes!  I have a G2 double hook in my .308.  It's like night and day, imo.  If you get a G2 set, check out Scott on EE, he was selling them for $30 shipped when I got mine, I believe they're $34 shipped now.  He was out of single hooks last I checked though.

Be aware, the Red Star FCG is the only FCG (if you get the Saiga model) that doesn't require the hammer to be ground down.  It's no big deal, a belt sander, bench grinder, or dremel can handle it.  See my thread on the conversion for pics on what needs to be done.  Next, the disconnector spring in the stock FCG (needed to assemble your FCG set) is larger than a typical spring.  You'll need to either get a normal spring or drill your disconnetor/trigger and trim the stock spring.  Info for that is also in my thread.

Conversion thread
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget about the stock trigger its hopelessly crappy, Do the pistol grip conversion & use a Gtech FCG, You need 5 US made parts to keep it all legal The Gtech FCG gives you 3, I replaced the stock & PG with K-Vars US made stuff for the other 2 parts..
The .308 conversion is easier than any of the other Saiga conversions, There are no extra holes in the rear of the receiver to fill in & No feed ramp to install (Assuming you are sticking with the stock mags).
The hammer has to be ground down (A 5min. job with a grinder or dremmel) & You need a stock disconnector spring as the one in the gun is too big for the Gtech Sear. Spray paint the exposed area on the bottom of the rec. with BBQ paint & you are done.
It took me around 2 hours start to finish!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys make it sound so easy. Im just nervous about taking apart a perfectly good gun! Minus the trigger of course!! LOL
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I had problems with mine, mainly due to lack of quality drill bits.  Get yourself good drill bits, if nothing else!  Those spot welds are hard.  I'd also recommend a drill bit specifically made for drilling spot welds.  If you don't have a drill press (I don't) just be sure to center punch before drilling.  A dremel is also a nice addition.  I used mine to clean up the spot welds and cut the trigger hole for the second hook of my trigger (with carbide cutter).

On the .308 model, there are 2 rivets (fore and aft) and 2 spot welds (left/right under the trigger guard) holding the plate to the receiver.  You'll also be cutting the spot weld holding the trigger guard to the plate for future use/access to the 2 receiver spot welds.  Once that plate comes off, you're basicly home free.  Prior to doing the conversion, you can also verify if your PG nut hole is precut by looking down in the receiver, most are.  I was nervous too, but it went fine and I'm not the best at working with tools.

garr, the Tapco G2 is the Gordon Tech FCG.  They're now exclusively sold/distributed through Tapco.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
You have been a huge help. Thank you ! What buttstock do you use you meet the US compliance?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You have been a huge help. Thank you ! What buttstock do you use you meet the US compliance?

Any AK-compatible stock
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#19]
http://ironwooddesigns.com   You can get a wood stock and handgrip that matches the fore grip.  US made, so reduces your parts import parts count.  Prices reasonable, and Matt has been very responsive to my questions, so i suspect customer svc is excellent.

Does any one know if the tapco single hook, and double hook are otherwise identical.  Specifically where the safety engages.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Does any one know if the tapco single hook, and double hook are otherwise identical.  Specifically where the safety engages.

No idea, but I would like to know that as well.  Anyone got dial calipers and can measure the height of the rear of the trigger where the saftey contacts it?  If someone can do a G2 single hook, I can yank out my G2 double hook and measure it.  Just give me a while to find my caliper. I do know, by just holding the two together, that the stock .308 trigger in taller in that one dimension.  Of course, my saftey is so close to working that it could just be a manufacturing tolerance at one extreme and a fluke.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yes, I haven't measured them, But by Just Eyeing them they look Identical.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have any pics of their finished SAigas?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks awesome!!!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top