Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/26/2004 1:33:22 PM EDT
With the AWB gone (for the time being anyway) will we see any Saiga 12ga high cap mags?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO   "no"  just my opinion , take it for what it 's worth.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
here's the scoop as I know it:
EAA (the american importer of the Saiga) will not import them due to the fact that the magazine in itself does not meet sporting criteria as set forth by the ATF.
If the products sold by EAA are under scrutiny to maintain the "sporting criteria", it could possibly slow or halt any further importation of the firearms, if it's found they are questionable for sporting purpose. That would mean a reduction in sales for EAA..
Then there is also a question about "if" the magazines become prevalant, the ATF could possibly classify the 12 guage (Saiga) as a "Destructive Device". Similar to what happened to the Street Sweeper.......I don't see the magazines readily available.....ever.
They are however available in Europe, I am still unclear about the legalities of that. The ATF told me that I would need a form 6 part 1 to do so, and then there is rumor that if it's under $100, it's OK to personally import a very small quanity (say personal use only)

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I know of only 2 overseas vendors selling the Saiga-12 8rd mags and the best current shipped price is over $80 each (!)...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What constitutes "High Capacity"?

I mean aren't these designed with 8 rounders (12ga.)?
So would high capacity be 9+ rounders?

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What constitutes "High Capacity"?
I mean aren't these designed with 8 rounders (12ga.)?
So would high capacity be 9+ rounders?

5rd mags = sporting, 8rd mags = non-sporting (earning the Saiga-12 a 'DD' designation)?
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
lack of high cap mags and the difficulty of changing the mags with the bolt closed is why I traded off my Saiga and got a Mossy 590 instead.  hold 9 rounds and you can top it off at will.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
lack of high cap mags and the difficulty of changing the mags with the bolt closed is why I traded off my Saiga and got a Mossy 590 instead.  hold 9 rounds and you can top it off at will.

Roger that!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I used to own a couple of 590's, they're probably my favorite pumps. However, I've come to prefer the reduced recoil & faster rate of fire of the Saiga. On top of that it has the exact same stock, PK-AS sight & controls as my AK's so they operate identically making training easier. Yeah, trying to load a mag on a closed bolt ain't easy but it's way faster than loading 8 shells one at a time. Besides, there are workarounds for now until someone comes up with a true empty mag bolt hold-open device for the Saiga. Topping off? That's what fresh mags are for...
Tomac
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top